Logo

Volvo MD2010 Glow Plug Indicator Light

FionaBowman

Hi all

I have a Volvo MD2010 with a control panel with 4 lights (temp, oil, alternator and glowplug).

Normally when starting I turn the key to position I and the 3 warning lights (temp, oil and alternator light up. Then I turn the key against the spring to II and the Glow plug light comes on as well for 10 secs or so followed by an audible alarm at which point I turn the key to III to start.

Now however at position I the Temp light does not come on - only the oil and alternator.

Then when I turn to II the oil and alternator lights go out but the glow plug light does not come on (so no lights at all). There is an audible 'click' from the engine at this point (relay?).

The audible alarm does not sound (alarm test button does not sound either) but if I continue to II the engine turns over as normal.

I have swapped the warning light bulbs over to test and all bulbs are functioning.

Any suggestions are welcome as I have no idea what the problem is!

Thanks!

Hi

Bumping this as winter is (finally) over here.

I figure it may be the glow plug relay and have a spare to test with but the screws for the relay box are corroded and getting to the relay will involve breaking the box open. Before I do that I'm hoping someone here may point to something else it may be? As the temp warning light went at the same time I thought it may be something to do with the lights panel rather then the relay but I cannot find anything obvious so any advice would be welcome. Especially if anyone could confirm that if the relay has gone then I should expect the behaviour (no glow plug light and other lights (oil and alternator) to go out when holding the key at sprung position II.

Thanks!

Loose or corroded connection past the glow plug relay. Mainly a guess as to where, but I recommend cleaning your connections with a bit of sand paper. I had a similar problem recently. The wire from the relay to the #1 glow plug had a bad connection. I had the click, but no light. Electrical gremlens are a real pain. A test light or multi meter is invalueable when chasing electrons.

Hi

Thanks for the reply - I checked and it is not the relay so started tracing wires but then noticed there does not seem to be a wire attached to the glow plugs themselves!

There are 2 plugs connected with a flat plate - in the manual it seems to show a cable connected to the plate but there is not one. Should there be?

If so does anyone have a pic of the plugs with the cable fitted or can they point me to where the cable appears from as I cannot find it at present.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but this is my first diesel engine.

Thanks!

There should be a wire from the relay to the glow plugs. Also there should be a wire from the glow plug back to the indicator light. Does the manual have a wiring diagram? It is a must when working on electrical problems.

There should be a wire from the relay to the glow plugs. Also there should be a wire from the glow plug back to the indicator light. Does the manual have a wiring diagram? It is a must when working on electrical problems.

Hi

Yes - I have the diagram which shows a red wire from the relay to plugs (but not one back to the indicator). There is no wire on the plugs though - just a flat strip connecting them to each other.

Thanks again.

Back