Logo

3 year old thread, problem solved: Thread: Water leak after new motor amd stern drive installed

baddad71

Sorry I never got back with more info. We had to pull the motor again to find the source of the water leak. We had the wrong Y-pipe on the exhaust. This was never suspected because we bought the boat from the original owner, and he never had the motor pulled or any exhaust parts replaced. We didn't change any exhaust parts during motor swap either. The only cause we could imagine is a factory error.
We had the y pipe with square bolt pattern and should have had the offset bolt pattern (at the bottom where it bolts to lower unit.) we only had 3 bolts out of 4 installed. I don't know how it made it through 21 years without leaking (WOW!! ). Parts research indicated only 1 pipe available for 88 model Mercruiser 4.3's, 5.0, and 5.7, but all of them were different than mine. my dad found the right one on ebay but I don't know if it was for a different year or what.

Whatever the case, it doesn't leak anymore...

Now if I could just get my electrical problems solved...

I just bought a new Mando 55 amp alternator and now I don't think the old one was bad, but no one can test it for me.
I found the purple wire from the alternator pinched and exposed copper touching the block.
It's for sale if anyone's interested...$40
got my new one from ebay for $68
now the weather is crappy....seas 5 to 6 feet, period 10 seconds, winds NNE 15 to 25...... YUCK!!!!
maybe I'll try some freshwater....

Back