Logo

305 Low Oil Pressure

dhudge

Just bought an '84 268 Commander (26') with twin 305's. Stbd eng runs at 40 psi oil press @ 150 *F...Port side runs at 20 psi @ 160 *F. I recently had the bottom & props cleaned, so today I took it out and ran it at high rpm's to see what she could do. I ran her at 4k rpm for ten min, when I started to lose power (& rpm) uncommanded. The temp creeped up to about 180 *F and the oil press dropped to 15 psi when I slowed her down to idle speed. I asked previous owner about it...he said the port eng had always read half the pressure as the stbd in the six yrs he owned it. He never had problems with it, but then he said had never run it up to 4k rpm either. Tomorrow I'm gonna do an engine flush once or twice to see if it's a simple fix. Probably not, but worth a shot. The first thought I have is oil pump. I also read in another forum to replace the check valve at the remote oil filter unit.
Any other thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Plumb in a mechanical gauge to verify the electric gauge...

Are you thinking something else (other than low oil press) caused her to lose power? You're right, the electronic pressure gauge needs to be verified, but I kinda figured that losing power kinda did verify it? Thoughts?

Ayuh,... The drop in oil pressure is usually caused by higher motor heat...

Loss of Power could be bad gas, or water in the fuel, or a restricted filter...

The 1st thing to check for the oil pressure is the reliability of the gauge readin'...

Back