MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Johnson Evinrude Diagrams, Parts and Manuals!

Default 1975 Evinrude V4 115 HP - Carb Rebuild

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1975 V4 115HP Evinrude on a 16' Trihull.

Thinking on rebuilding the carbs as it needs a shot of gas in the cylinder to start running they are probably gummed up.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what parts i need for the rebuild? (Gaskets Etc.)

Does anyone know where i could purchase these parts? (either online or local in the GTA (Ontario))

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evin.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	5733  

Default Re: 1975 Evinrude V4 115 HP - Carb Rebuild

They carburetor kits are available at most boat dealers in the GTA area.-------Usually no parts are needed when cleaning those carburetors.----------------Some will argue that of course.

OMC (BRP) has all of these kits. Trouble is, most of the marine dealers don't have parts lists that go back to 1975. I pull up part numbers from here, and walk into my local OMC dealer here in Pickering, give her the numbers, and she orders them for me. Usually in within about a week. In your case, for a 1975 115 hp, you want part number 0439076. This one includes all the gaskets, new float, new needle valve and seat, etc. Old Johnson/Evinrude parts are easy to get. Old Mercury parts are a whole different story.

On a " new to you " 37 year old motor it is always a good idea to do a full check of the motor.--------I recommend a compression test. Do a spark check with all plugs installed, spark must jump a gap of 7/16" on all 4 cylinders.--------It would be a good idea to inspect / replace the impeller as well.

Racerone is giving good advice. Don't just inspect the impeller..replace it. Also check all of the wiring going to the motor for breaks in the insulation, etc. I've been having troubles with the wiring going to the tilt/trim unit. "Black Death" in the + wire. I don't know what the compression should be for your motor, or mine (1980) either, but I've got 130 psi in three cylinders, and 125 in the other. Motor runs great. It wouldn't idle, was hard to start until I did the carbs. I did mine the easy way...I had a spare set I swapped in.

I had that same engine in Johnson clothes and went thru the carbs for the first time last year. Pretty simple design. Tore down, shot carb cleaner thru the passages followed compressed, filtered air and reassembled using the original parts. A little wear shone on one float valve. I was surprised as to how clean the bowls were, but I do use an external filter. Found no gum or varnish. The old dealer told me a long time ago how to prep it for non-use. I do this even if it is just setting up for a week.
    He said, run the engine on the hose until at least warm at idle. While still running, disconnect the fuel hose. As the fuel begins to run out, the engine will start to rev up on its own. At that moment, choke the engine until it stops and turn off the key. This leaves the bowls mostly empty and the choking leaves a rich oil film in the engine. It has worked for me and the engine has never had any power head issues.
    However, wear over the years had dropped the compression to about 90 psi. I could never find any definitive compression spec, and I had the service manual and had asked the dealer.
    The Preston Tilt/Trim was getting weak and the internal relay would click out every few seconds. Only other $$ spent were on regular replacing of the water pump, occasional drive shaft seals and about 3 years ago having the prop shaft resealed.
    Overall a great enging that never left me stranded or refused to start, except for my own fault. I did have to rope start it once when the starter solenoid went out during an outing. But it only took one pull.
    Might add it is a saltwater baby. Though it was replaced last year with an ETEC, I retain its picture on my avatar.
    The old Johnnie would push the 18" trihull at 40 mph. Anxious to hear how yours performs.
    Last edited by tboltmike; 11-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.