Logo

How much anti-freeze does a woodchuck chuck?

I turn to the experts here once again. I purchased a 1990 Sea Ray 350 SunDancer at the end of this season. She is powered by twin 454s straight inboards.
My question is this. How many gallons of engine antifreeze would each engine hold? My Marina hooks up on the water pick up when it's in the sling and has a large tub that the boat sucks the antifreeze from and re-circulates it back into that tub. Now when they are finished, approx how much anti freeze is in my block and hoses?
They tell me almost 8 gallons, which I find hard to believe. Thus coming to the folks that have always steered me right. You guys.:)
Thanks
Gator

probably none, which is why a few engine blocks crack with that non-recommended process. Most techs around these boards do not recommend the "antifreeze-in-a-tub" deal.
If the tstat doesn't open fully, the block stays full of water.
If the boat is RWC. open all drain cocks and drain the water from the blocks and manifolds, and anything else that holds water.
Air doesn't freeze.
If you want to pull the tstsats and pour some afreeze in after draining it, you can do that, but not necessary - some just do that to watch for pink running out meaning the draincocks are flowing and not plugged with rust - poking wire in them also works
you can pour a cup through each of the 4 manifolds too if it makes you feel better- not necessary

p.s. how big is the tub for straight inboards? The tub would have to hold the entire hull of the boat. An olympic swimming pool perhaps. If they're proposing the raw water impellers will suck out of a tub from the hull grate, think again. Somebody's blowing smoke at ya.

Last edited:
I turn to the experts here once again. I purchased a 1990 Sea Ray 350 SunDancer at the end of this season. She is powered by twin 454s straight inboards.
My question is this. How many gallons of engine antifreeze would each engine hold? My Marina hooks up on the water pick up when it's in the sling and has a large tub that the boat sucks the antifreeze from and re-circulates it back into that tub. Now when they are finished, approx how much anti freeze is in my block and hoses?
They tell me almost 8 gallons, which I find hard to believe. Thus coming to the folks that have always steered me right. You guys.:)
Thanks
Gator

Ayuh,.... I'm with hystat,... I drain, 'n store dry...

But,... I'd think 8 gallons is 'bout Right for twin BBCs....

well thev'e been winterizing the boats in this area, Cleveland Ohio, this way for so many tears I can't remember. Just about every marina I have been to does it this way.
If I had a friend that could show me every drain cock and anything else to open, I would try that methos. But really rather the marina do it, that way if they xrack a block, they fix it. But thanks for the relys. Gator

Back