Logo

1990 90 hp force runs only for a few minutes at wot then bogs down

airraid36

Fresh rebuild on carbs, fuel pump. Fuel lines and bulb replaced. Compression tested good. This motor runs like a scalded dog for about a minute then bogs down. It seemed like a fuel issue but ruled that out. After a few minutes of slow idle the rpms pick up but not up to speed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pull the fitting off the fuel tank and blow air back into the fuel tank with the cap off of it it could be inside the tank did you notice the primer bulb collapsing. Sometimes the vent on the tank gets plugged just loosen the cap and see if it cures the problem it is a definate classic symptom of restricted fuel supply. Have you tried a different tank if your tank is in hull get a portable and see if it helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wil try them all and post the results. I have noticed the fuel bulb flattening out while running so I will focus on the fuel tank. It is a newer 6gallon portable tank. I have tried loosening the cap. I have completely removed the cap also.

WI was finally able to work on the b
oat today. I removed the fuel pick up tube and float inside the cheap6 gal tank to find out the pick up tube was kinked. After replacing the tube I pumped up the fuel bulb to find out the top carb was leaking fuel out of the overflow profusely. I ran the motor for a while and even tapped the carb whith widen dowl

I had to remove the carb to clean out a small piece of debris that probably got there when I replaced all the fuel lines. I also bent the float tab that engages the needle to straighten it out. We learned of a trick in order to seal the float bowl back to the carb. We removed the bowl gasket carefully and flipped it over and reused because of the first fuel pressure test. We had fuel leaking all the way around the float bowl gasket. After flipping the gasket and reinstalling we had fuel leak. This trick probably only works on newer gaskets. These carbs were just rebuilt. We took the 19ft Henry O to Lemon Bluff on the St Johns river in Osteen FL for another test. Wow! She ran like a scalded dog and did'nt bog down once. Gps top speed of 34 mph with the 1990 90hp force. Thank you all for your suggestions and tips.

Back