Logo

1985 Merc 25 hp Fuel Pump

d18

Hi, my 25 merc started to run strange just before putting it away for winter,
when I was putting it away, I noticed that the impulse line from the fuel
pump had popped out of the engine, this is the second time that I have noticed
this happening, is there a way to keep it from popping out?

T

Serial # or picture of the pulse hose.------I thought that the fuel pump was part of the carburetor and no pulse hose is required.

I don't have the ser # and the motor is stored at the cottage for the winter,
but it is a 1985 XD 25hp. The pump is on the carb as you say, but there is
a small line, about 1/8" or so going to the block, it is sort of pressed in, and
has come out before. I think it would be an impulse line.

There's two of those small hoses that remove excess fuel from the bottom of the reed valve. The fuel pump implulse comes from inside the carb, where it's connected to the motor.

Jeff

So, if they are to remove excess fuel, do they return it to
the pump, maybe on the suction side? And if so, that would
explain the sort of "Starving" of fuel that I was experiencing,
with that nipple out of the block, it could suck air I suppose.

T

So, does anyone know a way to get that little
nipple to stay in, I don't know why it had fallen out
in the first place, but it came out twice now.

T

Safety wire it. Usualy this happens when a backfire occur. I allways though pulse from the engine will run your carburator diafragm and if you have a leak in your diaphragm your engine will flod causing backfire and rough idling and excess fuel will cause backfire.

try a small tye wrap, [zip tie]. i have some that are about 3 inches long and a 1\8 inch wide. We used them on small applications for air lines, don't know where co; got em but was in OLLIES other day looking for bunjie cords and noticed they had a big selection of zip ties. Good luck

There maybe a way I could wire it in place, but this is not the hose coming off, it is
the nipple itself coming out, but still it is possible it could be wired in, I'll have to
wait till spring now, winter time is here, and she's stored away.

T

Wash the piece and the hole with laquir thinner.---Step # 2 is a smear of epoxy ( J-B weld ) on the piece and put it together.----Wait for a day before starting motor.

These nipples are usually pressed in,apply a smear of loctite518 to the brass nipple,I think that's the number,give it a little tap with a wood mallet,not too hard,to seat it.

Back