Logo

440 Chrysler center riser aluminum manifold option

I assume the heat exchanger has some sort of drain to drain the raw water from the system? Or do I simply remove a hose?

I have raw water cooling, using a double pocket pump. The aluminum manifold (now at 12 years) shows no sign of corrosion, but if it does fail, it is easy to replace. Between the aluminum intake and the aluminum logs, I think there was a weight savings of 150 pounds, quite alot in a 2200 lb boat. The torque in a 440 is amazing.arabian.jpg082.jpg

That's greta, shuffster. Is your 440 the original engine? I am planning on trying to keep my original engine as close to stock as possible or at least save all the stock parts so it can be returned to original condition if I ever decide to donate it to a museum or something. But I have plans for building a 500CID, 500hp Marine 440 that I can experiment on to go in my boat. I have made a few calls around St. Louis and have been told that 500hp even from a stock 440 is fairly easy to accomplish. I am trying to get at a usable RPM for marine applications.

What kind of boat is yours?

I assume the heat exchanger has some sort of drain to drain the raw water from the system? Or do I simply remove a hose?
The sea water drain for the Heat Exchanger is usually the same port used for the pencil anode.
Pull the anode, and the sea water will drain out.

You could also remove a low point sea water hose, but when we get into that habit, we risk over-looking the changing the pencil anodes.
Pencil anodes can sometimes require several changes per season.

to answer Tonyj ....My boat is a Century Arabian 1969 model. I believe one of 68 built that year. I read somewhere that it was Cenury's first 60 mph boat. I am at 5000 ft. I purchased the boat in 1999. The engine had 4 quarts of water in the pan. Upon disassembly, I found that the port side log was cracked, allowing water to bleed back into the exhaust valve. Two cylinders were rusty. The engine had previously been bored .040 over. I choose to hone the cylinders, new rings, seals and a good valve job. I was lucky that the two cylinders cleaned up and the motor runs strong. This is a reverse rotation engine. I understand that camshafts are difficult to come buy. It is also reasonable on fuel. PM me if you want more info.

Dan/Jeff/Rick & others:

I have heard tell of a Chrysler Marine 440 6 pack engine. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I was toying in my head about making my 500CID, 500hp MOPAR "RB" big block engine a tri-power. I am aware of the tuning nightmares associated with multiple carb setups and the six pack is truly an adventure in frustration, but from a coolness factor, they sure look pretty sitting on top of that Big Block MOPAR.

Dan/Jeff/Rick & others:

I have heard tell of a Chrysler Marine 440 6 pack engine. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I was toying in my head about making my 500CID, 500hp MOPAR "RB" big block engine a tri-power. I am aware of the tuning nightmares associated with multiple carb setups and the six pack is truly an adventure in frustration, but from a coolness factor, they sure look pretty sitting on top of that Big Block MOPAR.

The six pac 440 375hp is insanely rare. The carbs would be near to impossible to find today.

Attachments

• 440-375hp.jpg
    440-375hp.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 78
Actually, the intake is still available from Edelbrock (the orginal manufacturer) and MOPAR Power and the carbs are still available from Holley. The cam may be a little hard to come by. Anyone have a cam carb for a 440-6?

I am very interested in the manifold adapters that this thread was created to discuss. I have sent a PM to 510mopar with a couple of questions. I love my 440's, I have a 39' Marinette and they make her into quite the hot rod for her size.

396625795.jpg

396625794.jpg

While my marinette was out of the water for the winter we spent an entire day under her with a DA sander and made her as slick as possible and then added 2 coats of trilux 33 with a wiz foam roller and she is smooth now. I put her back in the water last Sunday and I am getting 37 mph at wot. and 28 at 2800 and 30 at 3000 and then it slows down on the 1to1 think at that point. Purty fast for a 39 footer I think. I want to do the 510 stokers this winter with 510mopar's exhaust adapters with the center riser stuff, either new cams for std. rotation or maybe just increase rocker ratio on the stockers and see what it gives me in performance ?? I know it's a cruiser but I run it like an over grown ski boat.

Back