Logo

1983 v4 115hp crossflow Timing Problem

mo3444

I have been chasing a no fire problem on this engine. It turned out to be a defective stator and just for grins, I also replaced the timer base. When i put everything back together, the eng would not run only backfire and pop. I checked the timing and found that the actuator arm on the timer base was being blocked by the stator mounting stud which won't allow it to go to the fully retarded position. The arm moves between two of the studs. The studs are on the top bearing head cap which seals the end of the case where the crankshaft protrudes. What I have found is that the head cap is misaligned and that there is not enough clearance between the two studs for the timer base arm to travel the full distance. The solution would be to take out the bolts that hold the bearing head cap and rotate it to the proper position. Then all mounting bolts would fit and the distance between studs would be increased by about 1/2 in. I hope this makes sense. The eng was rebuilt 3 years ago and I think the head cap was incorrectly installed. My concern is that if I reposition the end cap a leak might develop. Would someone please advise. Thanks!

I think the endcap only fits one way.-----Post pictures so we can see.-------Look for another " wrong parts issue"

Back