Logo

High Performance Coil

Hi
Will posts curves when I find them. Did them some years ago and are in paper form. If I cannot find I will run up a few distributors again and chart results. There was really no consistency that you would expect. The Mercruiser graphs out there for thunderbolt systems are accurate as they were electronic.
Anyway when I find, I will post. They just do not apply since gasoline has been gone since late 70's. The US and Canada standards boards do not even call it gasoline in their formal publications anymore. They call it 'Automotive spark-ignition fuel"
Enjoy the day
Dan

Will posts curves when I find them.
Dan, again, that will be excellent! :D
Anything that was actually published by Chrysler Marine Corp, and that shows the entire ignition advance curve in graph form, will finally put this to rest!

Last edited:
Hi
just to be clear the curves I have are ones I created by running up freshly serviced OEM Chrysler Marine distributors on a distributor machine, not Chrysler publications. Actually testing is an accurate depiction of what is really happening anyway. When I can find them I will post them. May be a bit as it was years ago and on paper, not on my computer.
Will let you know.

.... just to be clear the curves I have are ones I created by running up freshly serviced OEM Chrysler Marine distributors on a distributor machine, not Chrysler publications.
Actually testing is an accurate depiction of what is really happening anyway. When I can find them I will post them. May be a bit as it was years ago and on paper, not on my computer.
Will let you know.
Dan, if the "freshly serviced OEM Chrysler Marine distributor" had not been disturbed or changed from it's original curve, and was indeed all OEM, a King, Sun or Allen machine should allow you to view and perhaps plot this curve out. But I think that the interest here on this forum is to actually see an OEM Chrysler Marine Corp 318/360 or even the 440 Ignition Advance curve in graph form.

To date, no one on this forum has been able to come up with one.

It's called 'boutique fuels' and it's stupid as stupid gets! Not only is it unnecessary (in most cases), it raises the cost of refining (and selling) gas. But state bureaucrats have to play power games with our money to make themselves sound important, so...

Jeff

Morning.
I will try to dig up all the old curves I did using OEM MARINE distributors, both left and right. Found data useless anyway as there were never 2 the same. This is common with old mechanical distributors and mass production parts. Each distributor was dismantled, serviced before testing. I could always do the tests again but useless as we no longer have gasoline with those characteristics.

You cannot compare a Chev to a big block Chrysler. The 440 magnum actually had its own advance curve with max timing at 2400 rpm, but less total timing, again, gasoline not Ethanol. The plugs are important. I use Champion 825, which is equivalent to j4y. The RJ10Y is no longer made and the RJ12Yc is just too hot for Ethanol.

Just though the tons of hours we put into finding what works on this crappy fuel would be useful. Each engine has it own characteristics. Ask anyone running a dyno.
These specs work on a mostly stock 440 using 87 Ethanol in a Chrysler 440. I cannot speak to any other engines needs. I have about 3700 hours on an engine with these specs.
Hope it helps.
Dan

510MOPAR,

I am putting these distributors on my 440 chryslers.

"I know that we could not find a factory official timing curve for the 440. This should get the job done.

I purchased a new distributor for my standard rotation 440 and am rebuilding my distributor for my counter-rotation 440. I called tech-support to get the timing curve from the new distributor so that both will match.

Mallory YLM578AV marine distributor for Chrysler 440.

Thanks for the inquiry. The advance is as follows .5-2.5 degrees @ 1300 rpm, 7-9.5 degrees @2300 rpm, 11-12 degrees @ 3300 rpm, which gives you a total of 24 degrees at 3300 rpm. Let us know if you have any further questions."

Thank you,
Stan
Technical Service
Prestolite Performance
10601 Memphis Ave. Bldg. 12
Cleveland, OH 44144

This is what the tech support sent me when I asked for the timing curves. I am running the RJ12YC champion plugs on "452" casting number heads. Do you think that I should change the plugs to the 825 champions that you mentioned? I appreciate your help. I am no expert......just trying to make my motors last and operate properly. We have 87 octane e-10 fuel in Maryland. I think that I will start using the high grade gas (92 octane I think). My old distributors use the dual ballast resistor set up with a 5 pin ECU module. Should I keep the same set up with these new distributors?

Hi
Couple of suggestions When putting in the distributors for the first time set the timing to ZERO. Now using a timing light get the timing at 750, 1000, 1500, 2000, Now it gets scary>>> 2500 and finally 3000 rpm. Do not hold the engine at the higher RPMs for very long, 5-8 seconds. Helps if a Bikini clad helper watches the tach and tells you when to read the timing marks. Write them down. Do this for both engines, they should be withing 5%.
If the max advance in the distributor gives you say 16 degrees, then set the base timing to 6 degrees, which is what most low compression 440's like. Then the 6+16 will give you 22. A bit low but safe for your first run, better less advance then more. If the engines do not knock set base timing to 8 degrees and try again. If it does not knock your good. Do not go above 8 degrees with 87 Ethanol or it may have trouble starting. 440's really want 28 degrees total advance on a stock 8:1 low compression marine engine. The 72 and earlier engines are almost 10:1 and use 24-26 degrees. The higher compression burns the fuel faster so less advance is needed.

You will find that the hot 12 heat range plugs will cause it to knock under load. These engines use 10 range with 87 Ethanol, however Rj10y is no longer made. I have done a lot of testing with many manufactures of plugs and their equivalent to the RJ10Y, but most are just replacements for the RJ12Y. The 825 is a RJ4, a much colder plug and will not pre ignite even under the meanest loads with E10 fuel. I use these in my 426 Wedge Mercruiser Bravo and my twin 440 Magnums in my 33 Searay, as well as the 440 in my 1990 Ramcharger I drive everyday.
Better starting with a colder plug then go hotter. After a lot of testing with various conditions I found the 825 plugs and 8 degrees base with 28 total advance and you will be able to run regular E10. Easier on the wallet.
Remember when starting out setting up a new marine engine start with less timing, colder plugs and a slightly richer mixture. If you are good with the way the carb runs now then you just need to sort out the ignition, easier.

I am not sure what the new Mallory distributors are using for an advance if they say it will work in both directions, as weights are directional. turn them the wrong way and it will not advance. You should get the type of module required from them. Most new distributors have the module built in and you just fire the coil from the distributor, no ballast. I run a fully adjustable pro comp distributor so I can set the max timing and when I want it to come in. You can dial in the curve as well as the max timing. It has a module built in and fires the coil. I will be removing them all this year for the distributor less system I put together this year.

Once we set up the new MPI injection system I will be posting some cool pics and specs. It is a 440 with a distributor less ignition with multi port injection and knock sensors on each head,, laptop tunable, center riser aluminum manifolds, closed cooled and weighs less than a 318.

Good luck.
Dan

510Mopar,
Doesn't look like the Procomp distributors are marine grade distributors. Isn't that kinda of like playing GOD with someone's life? I guess you could modify them to be marine. :confused: Don't forget to get those OEM curves posted for us. Thanks for all the info you have given us.

So glad I started this thread. By the way I haven't put in new coils yet but I'm gonna go with the MSD BlasterII. I also bought spark plugs for the old girl, NGKBPR6ES as advised by ebasicpower. I removed NGK BPR"5"ES plugs, does anyone know the difference ?? I guessing it's a cooler running plug? But thanx for all the info thus far!

Back