Logo

Delco EST pick up coil removal help

brucewol

I've got a Delco EST distributor that I suspect the pickup coil is bad. One of the leads shows resistance to ground, should be infinite. So I'm having problems on removing the pick up coil. I've got the cap and rotor off, disconnected the wire leads. I've got a service manual that says to pry off the retainer. Don't see any retainer and pickup coil doesn't slide off on the shaft. Does the shaft need to come out of the block to remove the pick up coil? Attached a photo. Help appreciated.

Attachments

• EST2.jpg
    EST2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 919
Reread the service manual...you'll need to pull the distributor. then the gear and the shaft...the retainer will be visible once the shaft is out.

Thanks. The service manual had the distributor removal in a different section. For the pick up coil it mentioned removing the rotor from the upper end, disconnecting the leads from the ignition module and then prying the retainer free. A diagram shows the retainer sitting on top of the pickup coil. That's why I was thinking it might be able to done without removing the distributor. Didn't want to remove the distributor and then need to reset the timing unless I absolutely had to. But I do, so I ordered a new timing light that has RPM and Advance. MY old timing light was only a light and had to look at the flywheel for advance. The job just got more expensive and complex.

Bruce, Do you understand how the EST functions, appose to a non-EST system?
Not necessarily the triggering, I'm asking specifically about the Electronic Spark Timing portion.

Lastly, how hell bent are you in staying with the EST system?
There are good alternatives!

Really just want to get the boat running again. The Delco EST system was running fine for 2 years so I don't have a history of problems that would make me want to replace it. I've got a problem that has been hard to diagnose. Engine run very rough when under load. See forum post

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...ut-of-the-hole-slow-to-respond-recent-problem

I've replaced the ignition module which corrected a rough idle but not my main problem. Timing advance was checked and functioning properly.

Just want to get back to skiing.

Hello,
you have to remove the distributor and remove the gear. Then the rotor shaft will slip out . There you will see the retainer clip that gets removed before the pole piece is removed.
be sure to set the #1 cylinder on TDC or 0 TDC before removing the distributor. Check location of rotor and that it is pointing to the #1 pole on the cap. It will be much easier when reinstalling and getting initial timing.

Gary

I realize that this is an old thread and I did stumble on it by a search.
I have been struggling with a "squeal" at start up for quite some time.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?428699-Start-up-Squeal

I am in the process of changing the distributor (Delco EST).

Can I just aim the existing rotor at #1 Cyl to determine top dead center, remove the old distributor and locate the new one so it is aimed at the same point?
Or do I have to pull a valve cover and or use a tool?
Thanks for any advice.

Mostly - yes....I suggest bumping the engine until the rotor is close to #1 and then rotating the crank until the timing mark on the balancer is @ TDC and then doing the distributor swap....no need to pull the rocker cover.

I realize that this is an old thread and I did stumble on it by a search.
While there are no rules against it...... it is always best to start a new thread for your topic.

I have been struggling with a "squeal" at start up for quite some time.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?428699-Start-up-Squeal

I am in the process of changing the distributor (Delco EST).

Can I just aim the existing rotor at #1 Cyl to determine top dead center, remove the old distributor and locate the new one so it is aimed at the same point?
Or do I have to pull a valve cover and or use a tool?
Mark, see my post in this thread.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-a-new-delco-voyager-est-distributor-question

Mostly - yes....I suggest bumping the engine until the rotor is close to #1 and then rotating the crank until the timing mark on the balancer is @ TDC and then doing the distributor swap....no need to pull the rocker cover.
Mark is correct! It is much easier to begin with #1 at or near TDC on the C/S.

Using my method for "first fire-up ignition advance", I will typically stop the crankshaft at about 6 degrees before TDC.
This gives us some spark lead that ensures start-up until the BASE advance can be set.

Back