Logo

Rusting intake Manifold....BAD rust

lgdpt

I just purchased a 1996 Skipjack (5.7 TBI) and am trying to get it running and noticed the intake manifold is bad...the rust is severe. My question is... I looked up the part number and it is a cast iron manifold. Would an aluminum one be better for salt water? Here is what I could find about this manifold...

14096242 In stock form it will produce more power between 4500 and 7000 rpm than any other stock Chevy manifold. Commonly referred to as a “Marine” intake, this manifold is a cast-iron copy of a Z-28 high rise aluminum intake. The marine intake is equipped with both carburetor bolt patterns, is 1.250" taller than regular intakes and was not available – in cast iron form – on any production cars.

In stock form this intake will out perform stock Q-Jet and 2 barrel manifolds in most applications where the engine is running between 4500 and 7000 rpm. Because of its huge internal volume, the
Marine Intake lacks throttle response below 4500 rpm compared to other stock intakes. Our Modified Marine Intake will add 10 ft/lbs of torque between 4000 and 6000 rpm.

Thanks for any help provided!!

Back