Logo

anchor

bcclew

Regular Contributor
1976 silverton 28ft with fly bridge what size and weight anchor should i use .i bought this boat 1 year ago org. owener said never had a problem holding with the anchor. most of the time i get it to hold.today was one of thoes days. had to set it about 3 times. not sure the weight of this anchor?i have a windlass 1\2 rope and about 10ft of chain. thanks for any help.

Need some more info. What type of anchor are you using, what type of bottom are you anchoring in and what scope is your rhode on?

not sure about anchor acording to west marine pictures its and Traditional Anchors not sure about the scope? will check next time out. water is about 4 to 6 ft some spots sand some mud. i believe scope is 7 ft per ft of depth? i will try to ck it thanks for the come back.

West Marine's "Tradional Anchor" series are a Danforth style anchor. A 22-S or larger should work for your boat based on the size and the bottom conditions you described. Your anchor line is over sized for your boat which is fine, but will jerk on the anchor and not provide the "shock absorbing" function of a lighter line. When figuring your scope, be sure to add the height the cleat is above the water, ie: 10 foot of depth + 3 feet of freeboard = 13 X 7 = 91 foot of anchor line needs to be played out. As I am sure you realize, each time the wind direction or current change you will have to reset the anchor, just be sure to get the anchor set in the bottom. Scope should be figured from where the anchor is dropped and not the depth that the boat ends up in. Hope that helps!

Back