Logo

Honda 50 Sounds like flat battery but not

constablechris

Contributing Member
Hi People

I have a 2002 Honda 50 that I have not used for a few months (well 12 to 14)

Today I went to kick it over, but it sounds like a flat battery, BUT it is a new battery. And I threw it on the jumper leads...

Im thinking there must be some rust in the loop somewhere causing the charge not to get through properly so I wll clean it up tomorrow and see, but thought I would throw it out there.

Turns over, just very very slowly.

I will let you know how it goes when it get it going

Regards

Chris

The first thing to do is remove each battery terminal and clean the mating surface to the battery posts with a wire battery brush, then reconnect and tighten down well. Next, remove each terminal wire at the starter and do the same thing. You may have a bad starter, but eliminate the obvious source of problems first.

As above, but also check each cable end where the terminal is crimped to the cable under heat shrink. Try winding the engine over for say 15 seconds (even if slow) then touch each cable end (both ends of both the +ve and -ve cables at both the battery and engine ends) to see how hot they are. if any of them are hot (or hotter than the others) that is where to check first. Note that it is common for the cable ends to be corroded under teh heat shrink.

Thanks for the advice gents,

I have tried it all, I notice if I hit the starter with jumper leads from the battery I am trying to start from, it turns over no troubles. If I just use the neg jumper it turns over no worries. I think the neg lead has died a death so I will look to replace it tomorrow and let you know how it goes..

Thanks

Chris

Back