Logo

2004 Yamaha F150 4 stroke problems, hard start after warm, wondering idle, top end max 4800 rpm

BUTCH W

Had motor in shop and following things were done.
Primer bulb and fuel line, fuel filter, coil dampers, low pressure mechanical fuel pumps, spark plugs. Fuel pressure test, 38 at idle, 46 at top end. Compression test was good with no leak down. Computer diagnostic showed all in proper range. Suggestions?

Have you checked for corrosion in the exhaust system. Not so common in the F150's, but common in the F225 and F200's. A rough idle is often one of the early symptoms of this free Yamaha 'feature'.

On the hard start when warm problem, the 04 and 05 F150s have a starting when warm problem that Yamaha put a bulletin and "fix" on, but only if the owner brought it in. The repair was covered under warranty, so now it won't be covered any more. I have a copy of the bulletin that I can send if you pm an email to send it to.

On the hard start when warm problem, the 04 and 05 F150s have a starting when warm problem that Yamaha put a bulletin and "fix" on, but only if the owner brought it in. The repair was covered under warranty, so now it won't be covered any more. I have a copy of the bulletin that I can send if you pm an email to send it to.

Hi dward, I am having a "warm start" problem on my almost new Yamaha F30B (4 stroke). If you still have that bulletin, I would appreciate a copy as it might just point me in the right direction. Thanks [email protected]

Having 'hard to start when hot issue' with my 2004 F150 - runs great, idles great, starts great when cold, have to crack throttle to start when hot and it sounds like it's flooded (starts rough, like fouled plugs) Can you send me the link to the bulletin? Thanks! [email protected]

Having 'hard to start when hot issue' with my 2004 F150 - runs great, idles great, starts great when cold, have to crack throttle to start when hot and it sounds like it's flooded (starts rough, like fouled plugs) Can you send me the link to the bulletin? Thanks! [email protected]

Hi rstamp,
I do not have the bulletin but here is what i "learned" until I got it fixed.
When you shut the engine off, the fuel in the fuel line gets heated up by the warm engine and starts to vaporise. When you come to re-start the engine the fuel pump is not strong enough to pump the vaporised fuel.
In my case (which was a 30HP Yamaha), they recognised the problem and had issued a re-call and fix under warranty. What they did was fit a stronger fuel pump that overcame the problem.
So, I suggest you go back to your dealer and ask if there is a re-call on your model for this problem.
In the meantime, when you arrive at your chosen "spot" with the engine warm, try idling for at least 5 mins before you shut the engine off. This should, in theory, allow the engine to cool enough so that the problem is less likely to show up.

Hope this helps..... but I notice some other "dudes" on this thread say they have the bulletin so try asking them for a copy.

Good luck,
Jim
Nairn, Scotland

I have a 05 150 4 stroke that is hard to start after warm. Everything else is fine. Could you please send me a copy of the bulletin. Thanks for your help.

Hi, if you still have this Bulliten, I’d really appreciate if you would forward a copy to me at “[email protected]”. Thanks

Back