Logo

BF150 metal anodes

Two anodes in exhaust pipe.
Two on gearcase
One on the bottom of the stern bracket.

I do not think the trim tab is considered an anode. It seems to be made of different material than the anodes. I might be wrong on this. I do not see them eaten up or affected in fresh water.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thought I'd jump in on this one with two questions--

1)) what's the conventional wisdom on timing for anode change-outs based on 100% salt water use? I have 600 hours on a 2007 BF150. Should I be thinking of changing them? and.....

2)) Is that a job a semi-competent guy can do himself or is it considered heart surgery, best left to a mechanic?

thanks, and didn't mean to hi-jac

marketic

I am in a fresh water area, so do not have a first hand knowledge of saltwater issues.

In fresh water, if an anode gets a coating over the anode, it is no longer working...thus replace it.

In salt water, I would assume that the anodes get eaten more quickly...and if it is pretty eaten up, then replace it.

If it has a coating, you would think you could just wire wheel the coating off. No a good practice. When you wire wheel, you introduce parts of the wire wheel into the anode, then you have two dissimilar metals, ideal for electrolysis.

Changing anodes is easy to do, as long as you can get the bolts loose. To get to the anodes in the exhaust tube, you have to remove the covers to get to the anodes inside the tube. Be sure to get new o ring for the covers when you put it back together.

The anodes on the gear case are only held on by one bolt/nut.

The anodes on the stern bracket are held on by two bolts.

Again, the hardest part is getting the bolt/screws out and, for us old guys, getting down on the ground to take off the stern bracket anode.

Mike

Thanks for that, Mike. It was the anode on the exhaust tube I figured would be the most difficult. I guess Honda does not have anodes in the power head the way Yamaha does.

Thanks for the help but not able to find that anode in the BF150 Honda manual.

Any way you could refer me to the boats.net micro fiche that would include the schematic for that part of the block?
thanks

Back