Logo

IPS

WoodieMan

Advanced Contributor
Does this sound familiar to anybody?; Four units now, on two different boats with shafts that are out of spec when dialed, and all props out of spec as well. Owners insist they did not hit anything (heard that before!) and prop shop opinion is that it is not consistent with an impact. Upon further investigation by talking to the customers; one customer saw his drives removed and based on what he described, they were not removed per the recommended proceedure, however I can't see how this would have made a difference based on his observations. The props from the other set had apparently been removed and sand blasted in the past (too much heat?). Short of the units being dropped/handled carelessly when removed (always a possibility), I am at a loss. Contacted Volvo; though very helpful, nothing really came out of it in terms of similar incedents that they are aware of. So I thought I would check in with real world experience to see if anybody had similar issues. I may just be beating myself up over this as these could just be more cases of "I didn't hit anything" but thought I'd put it out there.

I have heard 'never seen that before' from Volvo on things that I personally reported to them a couple of months earlier. Just the other day I found a cracked prop hub on one of our DPS props. According to Volvo - 'never seen that before' and then according to the independent prop repair guy 'those Volvo props are cheap junk and split hubs like that are not that uncommon'. Wonder who to believe???
Sorry I can't help answer your question, but my experience of recent Volvo manufacturing quality would suggest that out of spec props and shafts the 'wobble' might not require any 3rd party input.

Thanks for that. I just never ran across it before so to have 2 boats in a row with seemingly unexplained issues.... I'll keep that in mind though, good to know, and I will be pressing Volvo for an answer that would seem to be more representative of what may actually be going on. That's why I thought I'd put this out there. Thanks for the reply.

Back