Logo

Fuel leak

Frisco115

My 1979 115 HP Evenrude leaks a lot of gas/oil when parked. Doesn't matter if it's parked overnight or for a week. It had been hard to keep started at low speed like when loading on the trailer. Wasn't hard to start, but didn't idle well. Rebuilt the fuel pump and found there was no fuel filter in it and the diaphrams looked bad. The fuel pump doesn't leak and the engine now runs and idles better than ever before. The leak appears to be coming from the carb area and into the transom when the boat is stored with the motor tilted up. In reading how to rebuild the carbs, I read "disconnect the drain line at the rear of the air silencer base". I haven't taken the air silencer off yet because I haven't picked up a new gasket, but I'm wondering if this "drain line" might be a rubber tube, much like a fuel line tube, that like the fuel filter, had not been re-installed, thus causing this fuel leak. :confused::confused:What does the "drain line" do and what does it connect to??:confused::confused:

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

The drain line feeds any blown back fuel into the crankcase to be burned.
If it is missing, it is a given you will see fuel leaking.
You are basically dumping all the fuel from the carb bowls once you tilt the engine.

Hi thier,

im no expert but i think that drain line connects to the bottom of the air-intake manifold (my engine has the same thing and someone just told me its a good idea to hook it up :p) im having a very similar problem but mine is underload

Thanks for the info Jim. If there isn't a tube there what kind tube does it need?? I'm going to out on faith here and guess that I don't go to Lowes and buy some tubing, but rather go to an auto parts store?? Can I get to it without taking the off air silencer base??

I'm back, had a little medical (seizure) problem Sunday night so I've been slow to get back on the computer. Jim, I checked and found the drain line that comes out of the bottom of the air-intake. Couldn't see where it went but it doesn't appear to be the problem. Upon looking at where the majority of the fuel was coming from it appears that there is a lot of leaking coming from the top carburetor gaskets. They show to be wet on top of the carburetor as well as on the bottom of it. The gaskets on the bottom carburetor all appear to be nice and dry. My guess is that all the gaskets for both carburetors should be replaced. Right?? Next question is if I buy a carburetor repair kit do I need one or two kits?? Does one kit for a 1979 115 HP Evenrude contain all the gaskets, etc for both carburetors or just one of the two?? Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Back