Logo

Fuel Filters.

moresparks

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have a couple of Volvo Penta AQ171c’s that run fine .. providing … it has a clean supply of fuel. However I have had more than my fair share of carburettor blockages mainly caused by contamination or particles in the fuel.
Now I have the original fuel filter system as installed by the boat builders which was better than nothing at the time. It’s the standard water separator / fuel filter type CAV296 more suitable for diesel and Volvo Penta now call this a pre filter. It certainly doesn’t appear the filter is performing its job despite regularly replacing the element.
Can I fit an in-line filter suitable for carburettor applications such as a 300 litres an hour as used on performance cars after the “pre-filter” and before the fuel pump or will this restrict the flow?
Is it possible that the CAV type elements are no longer suitable for modern gasoline with all the additives such as ethanol?
Or should I start again and just replace the whole filter system with modern gasoline spin-on types and still no secondary filter?
I obviously need to inspect the fuel tank at some time but I do like the idea of a secondary filter. Has anybody else had similar problems?

Back