Logo

1984 Mercury Black Max Custom Ignition Switch Wiring Issues

stevie9520

I have a 1984 Mercury 150 Black Max. I built my boat using a custom mercury ignition switch (I had to use custom top mount engine controls because my gunnel walls don't come up high enough, and I didn't want to mount a giant box with the ignition switch in it on the top of the gunnel wall). My ignition switch posts are as follows: I - ignition, S - start, B - battery, C - Choke, and 2 M's - magneto. How do I properly wire this with my current engine harness? I have absolutely no spark. Here are the wire harness colors and placement on the outboard: Black w/Yellow stripe - switchboxes and mercury switch, Red - starter solenoid w/inline fuse, Yellow w/Black stripe - choke, Yellow w/Red stripe - starter solenoid, Black - ground, Tan - temperature sensor, Gray - rectifier, and Purple - absolutely nothing. Currently I have the Black w/Yellow stripe hooked to the "ignition" post. Is this right? I know the Gray wire goes to the tach and the Tan wire goes to the temp gauge. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Black / yellow must never be hooked up to a 12 volt scource !!!!-----------You may have done major damage to the 2 switch boxes.--------Black / yellow and another black are supposed to go the the " m " terminals.---------------Find your wiring diagram at ---------mastertechmarine----------available with a few clicks.

Thanks racerone - glad to get an answer from someone knowledgeable with this. I've rewired the ignition switch as you stated, with the black/yellow and the other black to the "m" terminals, but no spark. I think I may have just bought another set of switchboxes. I actually unplugged all of the black/yellow wires from the switchboxes and mercury switch, still nothing. Thanks again though.

Back