Logo

TAMD40B change of coolant no access to drainage holes..

Tiku

Hi!

I know the procedure of how to bleed the coolant from the engines (have manual) but unfortunately there is no space around my sb engine to access the drain pipes. So I'm kind of stuck in thinking how to do this in a roundabout way.

I can easily access the front of the engine and i can see that my sb engine freshwater circulation is hooked up to the waterheater via hoses so this got me thinking...

Should I take off the hose that connects to the freshwater circulation pump and drain the system through there? or is there a way to empty the system via the built in expansion tank? I have a vacuumpump for the engine oil so maybe I could use this also?

Should I start the engine and let it "drive out" the old fluids and then shutdown and fill it via the expansion tank and then let the engine idle for a while and the add more fluids...

Hook up hoses same as on port motor has for freshwater heater, dip one hose (pickup) into fresh water bucket, and other hose (discharge) into coolant recovery container. Once system is 100% fresh water, shut engine down, and switch fresh water bucket (pickup) for 1.5 gal of 100% coolant. Run engine until coolant container is empty. Discharge hose can just dump into bilge or overboard, since it will be 100% tap water. When all coolant is sucked into the motor, you will have 60/40 or so mix.

Thanks for the reply.. I think that this could work. I had a look at the engines last night and figured that if I take the hoses off, why not install three way valves to the hoses at the same time? The all that would be needed would be to attach long hoses and stick them to buckets and open valves.. There would not be a need to crouch in the engine compartment.

Back