Logo

Strange power tilt and trim problem, Yamaha F80 3003

Fantomet

This is the symptoms:
- The PTT motor is running, but it doesn't raise or lower the motor
- The motor will sink to lowest position if let by itself
- I can manually rise (hard in low position) and lower it manually. No difference if manual release valve is open or not.
- When moving it manually, it has a slack with no hydraulic resistance at all.
- There is no leakage if fluid.

This is the history:
All funcioning well, but suddenly the trim motor didn't respond. So I startet troublewshooting, and opened the manual realease valve. As a newbe, in that operation I removed the secure ring and opened the valve so much that a little fluid ran out. Closed it immediatly. However, it showd up to be the battery that was malfunctioning, even though it had 12.4 V. But with a new battery, the PTT now has the symptoms as described above.

I am thinking whether some of the valves might be the problem? I hav no understanding of the internal mecanism, so if somebody can explain how the fluid and valves are funcioning (or can link to a description) it might help me on the way
smile.gif

Do you have a service manual for your motor ? Have you checked the fluid level lately? Tilt the motor all the way up and remove the fluid fill plug (that big screw looking thing in the reservoir...). Fluid should run out of the hole. If it doesn't you need to add some fluid till it does. Tighten the fill plug hand tight then cycle the tilt up and down a few times and recheck it.

-Mike

Do you have a service manual for your motor ? Have you checked the fluid level lately? Tilt the motor all the way up and remove the fluid fill plug (that big screw looking thing in the reservoir...). Fluid should run out of the hole. If it doesn't you need to add some fluid till it does. Tighten the fill plug hand tight then cycle the tilt up and down a few times and recheck it.

-Mike

Yes, the fluid level is checked and OK.

Always good to hear the resolution. Helps others that follow with the same problem! Thanks for posting your solution.

Back