Logo

Name that part!!

hey all sorry if im posting in the wrong spot but could not find the answer....i have been searching for a couple days now and cant find the answer.....i bought a 1973 tri-hull boat not sure of the style...but the motor is 130 hp 4cylynder 2 stroke motor....it wont run...its not getting spark so i traced all the wire to figure out why im not getting any spark and my investigation led me to a black aluminum box with a coil mounted on it ...all the wires to it have power but the wire that goes from that black box to the coil has no power even when cranking the motor.....so my question is whats the correct name for that black box so i can order the part??? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!Capture.jpg

Goes by various names depending on your local terminology.-------------Referred to as an amplifier / CDI switch box / powerpack.-----------------AMPLIFIER in this case is most correct.---------Plenty of money for that one !-----Have you looked in the distributor to see if there are " points " to be cleaned ?

Goes by various names depending on your local terminology.-------------Referred to as an amplifier / CDI switch box / powerpack.-----------------AMPLIFIER in this case is most correct.---------Plenty of money for that one !-----Have you looked in the distributor to see if there are " points " to be cleaned ?

thanks for your help...yes i checked the points and sanded them down they were NOT coroded but figured i give it a try....i used a power tester and tested all the wires on the motor and they have power...the wire running from the distributor to the ?cdi/switchbox? when tested with a ice pic tester would pulse when cranking the motor and then nothing when im not so i assumed its sending the power to the cdi switchbox but then the wire running from the cdi switch box to the coil has no power even when cranking the motor ....and i grounded myself and actually grabbed the lead on the coil and had someone crank the motor and nuthing .....so i have narrowed it to the coil or the mysterios black box!!! again thx for your help.....atleast now i have a name to start looking up....by any chance if i was to go buy that box would it be the same or is it going to look different since its will be an aftermarket part......

They do not have to " look the same " in this case.

there is not any part number on the back of that cdi switch so how would i figure out the replacement part
the only thing i could figure out is the engine model number wich is a chrysler 1307HB
130 hp 4cylinder 2 stroke

anyway to figure out what replacement part would be
i dont have a local boat marina/repar shop so i have to order on-line

Back