Logo

1994 9.9 HP - won't start - red light blinking

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I am trying to get my 1994 oil injected 9.9 HP (DT9.9C) oil injected Suzuki running and it won't start. There is a little red light on the front of it that blinks quickly when I am trying to pull start it. Is this normal or an indication something is wrong therefore won't start? I am new to Suzuki outboards. I cleaned the carb, and put in new plugs. The plugs have good spark to them and I even sprayed a little fuel into the cylinder and still hardly pops. Could the timing be off on it? It ran good a few weeks ago then I am guessing the fuel wasn't ran out and plugged up the carb so I recently cleaned it using jet carb cleaner and an air compressor? Any ideas?

The oil reservoir is about half full. Does it sound like a sensor went out in that? If so, why is it still getting spark?

Thanks.

I'm having the exact same issue on my 1989 Suzuki 9.9 and have been too busy with other projects to tinker with it. I'd love to hear some opinions of what might be the solution.

I am also working on a 9.9. The red light on my outboard blinks while I am starting it, then goes out after a few seconds of run time. I have ran the motor for a few hours this way... so I don't think the light is a problem. I can see the oil going into the fuel through the clear "Y" tube.

Any ideas? If a sensor is out or not working properly in the oil reservoir will it stop sparking? How could I rule out the oil reservoir sensor? If it has good spark and compression is it only a fuel issue? Thanks.

I checked out the wiring tonight and noticed that a red/white wire coming from under the flywheel did not have a wire connected to it where all the others were connected. The red/white wire has a split female connection on it. There is also another black shorter ground wire grounded to a bolt that has a single female connector on it. The two don't appear that they should be connected because they are both female. Anybody else have this same situation? Any help is needed because I still can not get it running. Just can barely get it to pop with spraying fuel directly into the plug holes. Thanks.

Back