Logo

Troubleshooting suspected V drive issue

Paul A

We've got a '76 Boatel with 318 Chryslers coupled to Paragon V drives. The boat is used infrequently. The port engine requires significantly more throttle to maintain the same RPMs than does the starboard engine. If I shift into neutral, the engine revs up a great deal. This leads me to suspect that the V drive may somehow may be binding and putting the engine under an increased load. I checked the fluid level and it was down a few ounces. I've topped off the transmission fluid (3 or 4 ounces), but haven't had the bpat out to see if that seemingly minor adjustment might have fixed the problem. How do I determine if it is the V drive that is acting up?

I seriuosly doubt that's the problem or that poor Vee drive would have gone up in smoke long ago.

You need to do the usual tune up/ troubleshoot on the slow engine: Check that the spark is advancing properly (a frequent problem), and that your carb is opening properly/ getting enough fuel pressure.

Jeff

Wait three dip sticks on the tranny alone?? I also have twin pv-300's and i have only been using one dipstick on the tranny itself.

Back