Logo

older 9.9 water pickup tube

jprohan

My 9.9 has a pick up tube on the front of the lower gearcase housing; and you can't use the "ears" to flush the engine. Is there a way to flush the engine without sticking the lower unit in a barrel? I thought of a piece of PVC with a female hose fitting attached? Or maybe they made something back then for this purpose. Any ideas?

The 9.9's (and the 6, 8, and 15 horse models) water pick-up is located above the propeller on the bottom of the cavitation plate. Merc and many of the aftermarket companies make an attachement for these motors.

So if you have a 9.9 it should look like the diagram below (also a pic of the attachment).

(if your model is NOT like this you should post up the serial number since "older 9.9" may mean different things to different people :))

small merc flushing attachement.jpgflushing attachment.jpg

Yes that is how my engine water pickup appears. Seems to me the only way to flush the engine is to remove the prop; otherwise you cant attach the flushing attachement?

yes, a little odd, but you do have to remove the prop to get the flusher on - or just use a tub of water...

Back