Logo

Volvo Penta SD6 2007 model to 2012 model (diesel)

Oryen

Hi

A couple of months ago I got a quotation for two Volvo Penta SD6 370hp engines. I did not go ahead with the purchase.

4 months later I requested to be quoted again and the price was 20% more (quite drastic difference when dealing in high numbers). The dealer told me that it was because the previous engines were (brand new) 2007 model Volvo SD6 and now they quoted me the 2012 model Volvo SD 6. When I asked what improvements there are on the 2012 compared to the 2007, he couldn't tell me.

Being the only dealer of Volvo in Dubai (where I am) I was unable to find someone else to explain the difference. I haven't been able to find any information on the internet.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 2007 and 2012 models? What improvements are on the 2012 moodel? Are there such drastic improvements to warrant a 20% price increase? Or is this dealer just taking me for a ride?

Thanks

I find it strange that the dealer does not know his product. Most diesel engines from the 2007 to the 2012 time frame have changed drastically on the fuel systems. I know John Deere has interim tier IV compliance. (Emmissions) It has a "Common Rail" fuel system with electronic injectors. I don't know if the emmission standards are the same as in the states, but I would guess the fuel system is different on the Volvo Penta as well.

Are these for shafts or stern drive? If they are for shafts there are better options out there (in fact most other options at that HP are better) than the Volvo unless you really like spending money on spare parts and maintenance. If they want to mess you around on price, go see a Cummins or Iveco or CAT or Yanmar dealer. Any of those would offer a better 370hp option unless you need stern legs.

Thanks for the feedback.

All the dealer could tell me was there was an EVC upgrade. I was also suprised they couldn't give me more information.

It is a stern drive setup.I have spoken with Yanmar and Cummins and have been given pretty much the same price as the 2012 D6 Volvo's. Aliboy you mentioned that alternate options are better? Is Volvo not a good & reliable engine? I was always under the impression Volvo was one of the best inboard diesel engines, or am I mistaken?

I own 4 Volvo's (2 pairs in 2 boats) amongst our fleet of boats and are trying to sell both boats as the engines are too expensive to maintain. Quality is poor, failures are regular, parts are expensive, and many parts are 'non-servicable' meaning replacing expensive components that on other makes can be serviced and repaired. I have really come to hate our Volvo engines. Their stern legs however, whist still terribly expensive for parts, have proven to be pretty reliable over many years of use.
The problem at the 370hp rating is that the B series Cummins engine (which is excellent) won't operate on a standard leg, and while the 350hp 4.2l CMD engine is cheaper to maintain, it is not as long lasting as the Volvo due to being a smaller (4.2l vs 5.5l) engine. Yanmar in general produce better engines than Volvo, but their new 370hp package is too new to know how it lasts yet. If you are stuck with having legs it really comes down to taking a risk on the newer Yanmar or going with the D6 Volvo's and knowing that they will cost you money in maintenance. It is a hard call, as while I like Yanmars, I don't like all knew engine/leg combos. Best to wait until there is some real life feedback from other customers after a couple of years. Without the legs I would have gone for the Cummins or Iveco 5.9l engine as these are pretty much best in class at that hp. With the legs you might be stuck with the Volvo's, but if you own them for 5 years or more and put quite a few hours on them, I bet you won't buy Volvo's again.

I will take all that into consideration. I prefer not to go with an engine (Yanmar) that is not tried and tested. It seems as though Volvo is still recommended for the stern drive system (with high expense). Hopefully I wont regret it it 5 years. Now I will just decide between the 2007 or the 2012 model D6.

Thank you for the advice.

Back