Logo

Drive Shaft Bushing

I have a lower unit from a 35 or 40 horse OMC back in the 1960's that has an upper drive shaft bushing and not a bearing just under the water pump. This bushing spins inside the housing and my question is, does it need replacing or are they free and supposed to rotate? Thanks for any helpful answer you can send my way.

Ron

That bearing should be shrink-fitted into the housing. Heat the housing to 200C, drop the bearing in. if just pressed in, bearing will soon start to spin.

Pull the bushing out and post some pictures of it.--------I seem to recall many of those were loose and " full floating " bushings.

Come on now !--------The online 1922 to 1964 manual says that during the 1962 model year ------------" the full floating bushing " for the driveshaft was replaced with a needle bearing.-It also teaches about the replacement driveshaft to deal with the " ne w " needle bearing set-up.

I will be getting back to this thread later on today with some more info on the bushing and housing condition. Thank you all for your input on this topic as I am really not sure as the way it should be.

Here are a couple pictures of the bushing, not easy to get them nice and clear. The bushing actually has no slop between it and the housing and just a very little bit between it and the DS. The housing does have minor grooving in the walls where the bushing is seated. The reverse gear on the prop shaft also has a floating bushing, this may have one also, the supply of oil flow up to around and into the bushing looks like it could be sufficient making it kinda like a bearing inside of a race. I think Racerone is right, and according to his manual, it is called a "free floater".

bushing 1.jpgbushing.jpg

That is the " full floating bushing " used on the early models.---------Installed more that a few of them when I started repairing these fine motors around 1968 or so.

When installing, do a check on the driveshaft that it is straight! A bent/wobbling shaft and the new bushing will soon be history.

The bronze bushing in the picture ( no babbit on it ) appears to be good for more service.---You say it is not too loose and seems to fit OK.-------------No need for a new one in my opinion.-----These 50 year old motors are tough I would say.

Back