Logo

Help starting 496HO

tom904

Hi all
I have a 1996 Formula SR271 with a 2003 496HO.It's been about four years since I've tried to start her.
I'm worried i might have rust inside the engine.. I saw on TV a product you pour into the head thru the spark plug hole to help with rust.
Any ideas will be helpful.

If you put it up per the OEM recommendations, I'd say you only have to worry about the fuel...if you don't know/can remember. I'd suggest playing it safe and pull all the spark plugs and turn it over by hand. if it is free, hit the key once the fuel is known to be good.

As far as fuel goes, best bet would be to get an outboard can and hose and temporarily use it as the source for the pump...don't forget the return hose if it uses a return type of fuel system. if the engine starts ok, get a whiff of the fuel tank. If it is rotten, best to call in a pro if there is a lot of bad fuel in the tank....may not be cheap but will be MUCH cheaper in teh long run than getting that junk into the pump.

Finally, don't forget to service the cooling pump...an impeller would be due, at a minimum.

If you put it up per the OEM recommendations, I'd say you only have to worry about the fuel...if you don't know/can remember. I'd suggest playing it safe and pull all the spark plugs and turn it over by hand. if it is free, hit the key once the fuel is known to be good.

As far as fuel goes, best bet would be to get an outboard can and hose and temporarily use it as the source for the pump...don't forget the return hose if it uses a return type of fuel system. if the engine starts ok, get a whiff of the fuel tank. If it is rotten, best to call in a pro if there is a lot of bad fuel in the tank....may not be cheap but will be MUCH cheaper in teh long run than getting that junk into the pump.

Finally, don't forget to service the cooling pump...an impeller would be due, at a minimum.

Thanks, The gas was removed from the boat, Injectors cost a bunch.
I thought i was screwed, but it looks like it happens a lot. will use your suggestion(s).. once i pull a plug and check for rust.
many thanks for the impeller change idea, she used to get hot sometimes,so i'm sure it's needed. Now i can stress about the heat exchangers !
If i could ask one more question. what would you use? MM oil?.something called "BPBlaster"? or pop for $200.00 for some Engine Release Co. in Canada.
You thoughts---

a squirt of engine oil in each cylinder is where I'd start. If you have access to a borescope, it would tell you a lot when the plugs are out.

I'd be more concerned about the elbows than the heat exchanger...but you have more history on this than anyone.

Back