Logo

carb gasket question

eastcoastitalian

Contributing Member
i recently bought a carb for my evinrude,it's a 1960 evinrude 40hp big twin model #rds 22 to replace the old one on it which i believe to be the original? i think it was what is considered the model A carb.manual choke you have to open the little door for.the new one i've bought is the model C carb with the hotwater choke. my question is upon opening the bowl on the model C for inspection i see it has no small roung gasket on the very bottom of the high speed nozzle at the very bottom where it seats in the bowl,nor does it aqppear to have ever had one here"no paper or any evidence of anything ever being there". but my original carb the model A did have one there,but upon checking schematics on a few different sites of both these carbs and also the schematics in my clymer manual they show the model C with this gasket and the model A with out one???once again my model A had one in it and my model C did not so i'm stumped as to if my new model C should have this gasket or not?? i don't understand why one would be shown with the gasket and one without as both of the carbs internals appear to be basically the same, especially the highspeed nozzle set up the way it seats in the bottom of the bowl and both these carbs do have the neddle valve going into the bottom of the bowl for adjustment, and not just a plug or bolt there?? any help would be much appreciated thanks. gasket or not??

ok,i never got any replies to this so i was forced to figure this one out through some good ol trial and error and figured i'd answer it myself just incase anyone else ever has the same problem and is'nt sure of the answer.the gasket must be used,the engine won't idle correctly without it,and the other problem i encountered was that when you squeeze the primer ball before starting the engine gas comes up through the carb and pours right out the front of it.so in short,ALWAYS USE THE GASKET!

Back