Logo

Replacing wheel cylinders

Guythunder

I need to know if there is a trick to making wheel cylinders last longer.? I have had to have a couple of surgeries and have been laid up for two years on each one And I just put wheel cylinders in before the first surgery
. And in between both surgeries I wanted to go fishing, But due to a few bad wheel cylinders that I had to replace my trip was off. So every time my boat site for a year or two the cylinders take a s---. This trailer is a 2000 Tricker Trailer.

I assume you have surge brakes. Best way to keep them working well is to use them. After they sit unused, the seals dry out and the exposed cylinder walls rust up. If you must store it for long periods of time, block up the axel and get a friend to spin the wheels while you activate the master cylinder.

Old post but what I did was take a new backing plate and remove the cylinders. Then remove the pushrod and rubber boot. Then use silicone brake grease to coat the top of the brake piston & area under the boot and rubber gasket adhesive to seal the boot to the cylinder. This makes them more water proof and as mentioned cycling the actuator every few weeks helps too.

Back