Logo

Tohatsu won't pee

Hi all,

This is my first post and I have looked thru several of the older posts but I didn't find an answer so I thought I'd ask.

My 25C3 isn't peeing. I've run weedeater line thru the pee hole and didn't feel any obstruction. I have used the "earmuffs" over the intake and also a barrel full of water so the intake could pull water.

I haven't run the engine very long (less than 30 seconds) each time to test it because I don't want to overheat the thing. But I'm not sure how long it will take for the thermostat to open up so I will see the water from the port.

Anyone have any information or suggestions?

Thanks

The thermostat has nothing to do with the telltale. As long as the cooling system is pressurized, the telltale should flow. If the water pump hasn't been serviced in a couple of years, it's prudent to install a new wp kit. Does the motor overheat? Is exhaust coming from the telltale? If so, you are not pumping. Did you clear the telltale while the motor was running?

I personally haven't done anything to break the seal on the pressurized system. Doesn't mean it's not broken though. The water pump hasn't been serviced in probably three years. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. I've never had a problem with the motor overheating, with this issue I've only allowed it to run for a about 30 seconds to see if it would pump from the telltale. I haven't noticed exhaust from the telltale, but I'll check this morning when I try to clear it when it's running.

You can use an IR thermometer gun (available at hardware stores for under $50.00) to check for overheating. The telltale could be clogged, and yet the motor could be cooling OK. After 3 years, it's likely time for a wp kit.

I appreciate the info and advice. I ordered a wp kit last night from boats.com. Even with shipping I save $15 from what the dealer wanted to charge me. I'm lucky in that I have a marine operations or "MarOps" section in my unit at work. The work on our motors for our zodiacs (45hp and 60hp). They're going to help me tear it down on Friday and give it a good look, replace the wp, and check the carb. Just got to bring them steaks and beer.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back