Logo

SEI Outdrives

Why? Just find a used mercruiser alpha drive for a couple hundred bux and dump the OMC entirely. It's a straight up swap. There are hundreds of thousands of Mercruiser drives out there for cheap and parts are a bazillion times easier to get and everyone knows how to repair them.

You may not know this:
Your Cobra drive is a candidate for a Volvo Penta SX or DP-S conversion just as easily as it is for the SEI or Merc conversion.
The SX or DP-S gets you away from Dog Clutch gear engagement, completely away from the ESA and related cable linkage, etc, and into smooth V/P Cone Clutch gear engagement.

With the SEI or Merc, you'll need to retain the ESA, and the cable linkage system..... and at the end of the day, you'll still have Dog Clutch engagement.

Just a friendly FYI for you.

Edit; if you were to do the SX conversion, this leaves you wide open for the Duo Prop (DP-S) lower unit down the road.
Depending on hull size/weight, the Duo Prop can be compared to that of adding another 80 horse power or so.
This cannot be done with either the SEI or Merc A drive.

Last edited:
Why? Just find a used mercruiser alpha drive for a couple hundred bux and dump the OMC entirely. It's a straight up swap. There are hundreds of thousands of Mercruiser drives out there for cheap and parts are a bazillion times easier to get and everyone knows how to repair them.
I'm confused, are you saying that a Mercruiser will bolt right up to my exsisting OMC transom set up?

[B said:
o2batsea][/B] Why? Just find a used mercruiser alpha drive for a couple hundred bux and dump the OMC entirely. It's a straight up swap. There are hundreds of thousands of Mercruiser drives out there for cheap and parts are a bazillion times easier to get and everyone knows how to repair them.
I'm confused, are you saying that a Mercruiser will bolt right up to my exsisting OMC transom set up?
No... the Merc A drive will not bolt right up.
I think that he's suggesting to replace the entire OMC Cobra with an entire Merc A drive.... I.E., out drive, transom unit, inner transom plate, Merc Y-pipe, Merc flywheel cover, etc.

The SEI kit is a conversion, whereby you use the SEI Merc Knock-Off drive, and the SEI conversion kit in order to retain the OMC tansom unit, gimbal bell and hydraulic cylinders.

All three of these (Cobra, SEI and Merc A) are Dog Clutch drives, btw.

the Duo Prop can be compared to that of adding another 80 horse power or so.

You forgot to mention that a DP-S is $7,950.00 and the SX is $7,212.00 and Transom Shield is $2,950.00

So that's $10K to get this imaginary 80 extra horsepower. :rolleyes:

Back