Logo

1986 40 HP Evinrude ( E40ELCD) Solenoid Ground Strap HOT!

rlray42

Tried to start my 1986 40 HP Evinrude ( E40ELCD) & the starter wouldn't engage. Removed cover and smelled/saw smoke. Found the Solenoid Ground Strap HOT with insulation melted! Pulled wire away from the engine block and it hasn't done it since. Any thoughts as to what caused this?

You sure it was the ground strap, and not a hot (positive) lead. A ground strap rubbing on the block should not arc or cause trouble.

wire.jpgThanks for responding! Pretty sure it was ground strap. Black wire - After looking closer, it actually went between two bolts - one on the frame, one on the block?? (See Pic) I'm thinking it was a high resistance connection on one end of the strap. ?? Can't figure why there was a difference in electrical potential there. ?? I have a so called 'shop manual' but it's not clear in that particular area. Tomorrow I'll remove all the trim that I can and look closer. Any other ideas appreciated for sure!! Thanks Again, Bill_W!!

Last edited:
That is a ground..I have no idea either why it got hot and melted. You do have a ground lead coming from the battery to the engine block, or somewhere on the powerhead, right? The wire shown should just be a sort of insurance that all parts of the motor are grounded. But it could be what you are thinking, a bad connection. Let me know what you find

Still looking... After re-working both carbs motor was used motor over the weekend & everything was great! The fact that the starter would not fully engage indicates to me that there was a bad connection. ?? Three of us guys there poking around when we had the problem leads me to think one of us moved something that made the connection 'good' again.. If that was the case it will be back most likely & I'll find it.. hopefully..

Hey, with anything mechanical anything is possible. Here's hoping it is just a bad connection. The starter not engaging fully would sort of indicate that.

Back