Logo

How to replace Mercruiser lower transom mount bolts?

landingzone

I have a 1988 270 Amberjack with twin 4.3L Mercruiser Alpha I outdrives. The lower bolts which attach the outdrive to the transom are severely corroded. They have not yet caused any leakage, etc. problem. I know that they are aluminum and should have anodes at there outer ends (which are long gone).
My question is to determine if I have to remove the engines to replace these. I saw a post on some forum that indicated that. I also talked to a marine mechanic who suggested that by removing the exhaust manifolds from the center area, I might be able to access and remove/replace the bolts. Has anyone replaced these without removing the engines and if so, please enlighten me. Thanks
0924121532.jpg

those bolts never had the annode threaded end. might be because it has Mercathode system?
Unlikely you can replace then with the engine still there.
87f8c3ab-1.jpg

ypipe.jpg

Thanks, Bt Doctur.
If I could get at the area from the side by removing the exhaust manifolds from the engines at the center, is there room behind the Y pipe, or access to the area to remove the bolts? I can't even see the bolt/area with everything assembled.

Also, yes there is a Mercathode system on the boat. Apparently, it didn't prevent my problem. Are the Mercathode systems worth the effort & $ for me to get mine operative, or should I just go with regular anodes?

I would go to anodes on that old system. I just want to say if you can get those bolts out without pulling the engine drive and the complete transom assyembly. Also with lots of heat hammers and swearing i'll be impressed.

I would go to anodes on that old system. I just want to say if you can get those bolts out without pulling the engine drive and the complete transom assyembly. Also with lots of heat hammers and swearing i'll be impressed.

Bottom line>>> Had to have engines removed and bolts replaced. All done now. As you suggested, I had the Mercathode system disconnected and went to all new anodes.

Back