Logo

Bad ECM Crusader 8.1 HO

Kevin Ondriezek

Lost my Tact last year and through process of elimination I have determined that the ECM is bad on my Starboard side. Hooked up the ECM from Port side and everything works. Does anyone know if these can be repaired? New ones are over a grand. Everything works except for the Tact.

I had the same problem with my 50ft. gibson lost my tach drive on starboard engine twice .bought two new ecms.It is a 2003 houseboat with 8.1 crusaders that I bought new.does anyone have any answers for this problem? Talked with crusader,they would not admit to having any problems.

yes, they can be repaired... search the www for ecu (or ecm or pcm) repair and you will find a handful of shops. call them as some will handle any 'control module' and some will only handle certain automobile types.

thanks for the info however I both sent ecms to crusader they returned them as not repairable. I also called every web site I could google with no sucess.beleave me I didnt like throwing a couple grand for two little black boxes. If you have a specific company that will repair, please advise of their web site or address or telephone number forever grateful.

This is an old post but I have the exact same issue on my 8.1 HO. I traced the wiring all the way back to the ECM (J-14)and it was good. I swapped side to side and the problem moved.

In a search, I stumbled across this info:

IMG_5587 (002).JPG

This is the issue but I don’t have a part number match. My ECM is a MEFI-4 with a different part number. Very suspicious it's the exact same issue.
I’m tempted to try it anyway if I can figure out the wiring which is confusing if you have ever opened up one of the big connectors. The wire colors seem to vary and each wire have completely tag # which doesn't match the pin out diagrams I've seen. As the it says above, the engine starts and runs fine. At least I know where the issue is on this engine. I also forgot that I was trying a different Cam Pos Sensor on the other engine. Once I swapped in the old one, that starts fine now.

Has anyone else tried this work around?

Bob

Attachments

• 0F95CD07-2265-487D-91D7-2F1D2D01B315.jpeg
    0F95CD07-2265-487D-91D7-2F1D2D01B315.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
ok, it does not look like the MEFI-4 has an alternate tach path so this bulletin will not work. I do have a MEFI-4A on the other engine so this should be a fix if it happens on that one.

Back