Logo

1996 Merc.Force motor

superguidev16

:confused:I have a 1996 Mercury Force outboard motor. I replaced the engine harness, ingnation .My problem is that the motor will start when cold then will not start after I run it, sometime there are issues starting when cold. I am wondering about replacing the solenoid not sure what to do next?

What is the nature of the starting problem ?-------------Will the motor not crank over with the battery or will it crank and not start ?--------The solenoid has to do with the cranking of the motor.

:confused:I have a 1996 Mercury Force outboard motor. I replaced the engine harness, ingnation .My problem is that the motor will start when cold then will not start after I run it, sometime there are issues starting when cold. I am wondering about replacing the solenoid not sure what to do next?

The motor will start when cold usually not always, after I run it the motor will not start . When trying to start the motor there are no noises at all just dead silence.I have to try many times to get the motor to start. I thought the starter had a solenoid, I was thinking a starter issue?

Could be a bad starter solenoid but they are very reliable.---------If you turn the key and get " no noise " then there may be an issue with a " start in nuetral only " safety switch.-------That switch is usually in the control box, but may be on the motor as well.---------Possible issue with loose grounds , so check all wiring connections.--------Disconnect battery while checking wiring.

The 'start in neutral only’ safety switch sounds like a good possibility .Thanks! I have had issue in the past where I had to move the handle for the forward and reverse to get it to start.

Back