Logo

RePainting a aluminum boat Help

hugo

" Hello,

Does anyone know w

" Hello,

Does anyone know what kind of spray paint I should use to repaint a flat bottom aluminum boat? Is there a special marine boat paint or can I use some Krylon or Rust Oleum? I just don't know what kind will hold up best under the water line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hugo "

"Hugo,

I think your best be

"Hugo,

I think your best bet is an inexpensive polyurethane paint. If you are considering an anti-fouling paint, you have to use a paint that is intended for aluminum. Many anti-fouling paints will electrolysize aluminum, and destroy the boat quickly.

"

" Hugo,

The cheapest

" Hugo,

The cheapest alternative is automotive / general purpose oil paint; I've been using rust-oleum proffesional for a couple years without incident, it's tough as nails and $20 a gallon at WalMart. But, right on the can it says that it is not recommended for "continuous water submersion".. my boat is stored dry docked on the trailer, so I can't say what would happen if you moored an aluminum boat with cheap paint; but, small aluminum boats really should not be left in the salt water anyway.

A friend of mine who does custom aluminum boats (up to 30 feet or so) uses epoxy paints, expensive and difficult, but the best... in the past he has used autmotive (oil). So, my recomendation is oil, polyurethane, or epoxy... I brush mine, but it's ugly and beat up.. a spray gun is better, but takes some skill and may not be practical for working under the hull.. As for bottom paint, it is wierd stuff, it has a high metal content so it dissolves in water and requires almost yearly attention.. in agreement with tony, do yourself a favor and stay away from it. If the boat will be left in the water, give it a good wax after the painting and pull it out on occasion to remove the grime and re-wax.. that should make it easy to clean.

Jon "

" Hugo, I have a 28 foot welde

" Hugo, I have a 28 foot welded aluminum work boat that I keep on a mooring. If you are serious and want a long lasting paint job, let me know, I can email you detailed instructions. If you are looking for a quick, cheap way then go with the Rustoleum, or dont paint it at all and haul it now and then for cleaning. A lot depends on what water temp ypu moor in. The warmer climates tend to grass up more. Good luck, Kim "

" Sort of. It was built by Pau

" Sort of. It was built by Paul Luke in Boothbay Harbor, ME. He built boats out of alum when everyone went to fiberglass. He built mostly sailboats but did a few powerboats. I bought it about two steps away from being scrapped and restored it, so have a lot of first hand knowledge about painting alum. She is a lobster style boat with a 206HP Isuzu and will do about 30 mph top end or cruise all day on 1.5 gal per hr. Love it!!Thanks for asking, Kim "

Back