Logo

Trim tab installation

Mujibar

I have acquired a set of Bennett trim tabs that i am installing on my 22 cuddy. The boat is rack stored and does not have, nor will it have anti-fouling paint.

The question I have is, do I only use sealer in the screw holes? What would be the result of using sealer on the entire surface beneath both the spacer and hinge plates that make contact with the boat?

Even though these are SS, I bought them used and thay had rust stains, and in a couple of areas had very minor pitting. Would I be better off taking them to a metal shop and having them painted or anodized? If so what would be best?

That is good advice on the necessary prep. However, I would like to point out that the last time I mounted a set of Lenco tabs on my transom, the instructions recommended using a thin coat of sealant on the entire mounting plate and plunger bracket to guarantee a good seal and compensate for any irregularities in the mounting plate or the transom finish. The other relevant recommendation was to not tighten down the mounting screws too tight such as to cause deformation of the mounting plate. I used 3M 4200 for a sealant.

Thank you both for your prompt insight.

Now I have a new problem! In getting the parts together for this installation, I found the actuator mounting holes did not match the tab plate bolt pattern. It seems I have a 351 Bennett pump, two 24 x 9 Bennett tabs, and two Insta Trim actuators.

So I am now faced with the questions, of new acuators, or modify the bolt patterns, or some other solution? Please be advised I am a cheap old Fart, and seek a low cost solution. I already paid $40 for the pump, actuators and trim tabs/mounting plates. I do not want this turning into an expensive fix. I already have to buy hydraulic hose/fittings for crying out loud. Not to mention SS bolts etc.

Seriously I did get a really good buy here, and I do try to count pennies when possible.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your prompt insight.

Now I have a new problem! In getting the parts together for this installation, I found the actuator mounting holes did not match the tab plate bolt pattern. It seems I have a 351 Bennett pump, two 24 x 9 Bennett tabs, and two Insta Trim actuators.

So I am now faced with the questions, of new acuators, or modify the bolt patterns, or some other solution? Please be advised I am a cheap old Fart, and seek a low cost solution. I already paid $40 for the pump, actuators and trim tabs/mounting plates. I do not want this turning into an expensive fix. I already have to buy hydraulic hose/fittings for crying out loud. Not to mention SS bolts etc.

Seriously I did get a really good buy here, and I do try to count pennies when possible.

Ayuh,.... Ya paid 40 bucks for a $400. dollar system, 'n yer bitchin',..??..??:rolleyes:

"Cheap old farts" an good running boats don't mix too often. However, is there any reason you cannot fill the old holes with Marine Tex or 3M 5200, then drill new ones for your current tabs? I assume you are not planning to bolt the trim tab mounting bracket all the way through your transom - bad idea. Typically you use 1" to 1.25" stainless wood screws.

I grew up on a farm in Texas. Frugal was a neccessity. Spending money on something was always the last option. Don't confuse the terms "cheap" with "Lazy."

So having said that, the placement and mounting methods have already been determined. I have moved on to whether the Bennett pump and Insta-trim actuators are a viable combination. I am still left with the problem of getting the hydraulic hose onto the actuators. They seem to be held on with something called "Hose collars" by pressure instead of screwing on.

OK. It is all academic now. After chawk_man embarrassing me so thorougly, I went out and bought new Bennett actuators. LOL

Really it will be a better looking situation than drilling new extra holes in the tabs to mount the actuator ends. Then of course it was a pain finding the right size hose and the collars that affix them.

thank you again

Back