Logo

shift part for 2003 25 unavailable

4560winchester

I keep the coach boats running for Cornell Crew and we have a number of 25hp el 4st. outboards from the early to mid 2000's. From time to time the horizontal shift shafts break. They are not too hard to replace but now the part is no longer available from Mercury. So a fine running outboard is useless at nine years of age! The same part in in 25's and 30,40 and 50 hp non big foot engines. It boggles my mind that Mercury does this to their customers. Any one have a stash of these parts? 826588a4.

Independent dealers may have a few in their stock. You will have to google Mercury OB dealers and contact each one.

That is new corporate policy fairly common in all newer motors.------Make sure to manufacture a motor with so many parts that it is not economical to stock spares.----------Or design parts with computers instead of experience , in the old days they used less plastic and parts such as that " did not break "-----------------Having said all this there may be a need to review how motors are operated / shifted.-----------Trying to shift a motor that is not running can be hard on some parts.--------- I would look at making the part myself and it would be made with sturdy materials.

Back