Logo

How To Remove The Carbs From a 1883 Mariner/Merc 50 HP 2 Stroke

ehlien

Regular Contributor
Well I was unable to get my Mariner which has been sitting for a few years started presumably because the lower carb is flooding and steaming gas out a small brass port hole shown in the upper right in the front. (not sure what this port is??) I'm assuming the float is not working or a needle not seating properly. Anyway the carb will have to come off. Question is how do I get access to the mounting nuts on the starter side? Do i need to remove the starter if so how do I do that? Attached are pictures of the car and starter.
Thanks

View attachment 5504View attachment 5503

Appaently they used several differnt carbs on these motors. How do you tell which carb you have and are the needles and seats the same or different for each?

There are numbers stamped on the carb. Use the engine serial number to get the parts diagram and search the parts list to match the carb kit.

Had a bunch of those this summer (ethanol?) You need NEW needles and seats for both carbs.

Jeff

Well I got the carbs off and so far I have cracked the lower one apart..actually it looks pretty good. No varnish and pretty clean and the gaskets all look in tact. When I originally primed the engine gas was streaming out the economizer jet as indicated in my last post. However now I'm wondering if I just pumped the fuel bulb on the tank to engine line up way too hard?? Would that flood the engine and keep it form starting? ??
Anyway I cleaned the carb out with cab cleaner and I have a new needle to put in but the marina where I bought the parts said there is no seat available and I don't see one in the walbro parts list for this engine. The float appears to be in tack and not damaged. I sprayed cleaner through the jets and wiped out what I can. What else should I do to service these carbs? Is there a thread or more complete advice on this somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated getting this engine up and running.

PS no ethanol damage.. from what I can see the seats and the inlet needle and spring look pretty good and clean......did I just over pump the fuel line bulb and flood it?? ..I could get the engine to cough like it wanted to start but never catch..it was actually more like fuel starvation.......

Back