Logo

Small engine, 2 hp 2 stroke compression range?

fatire

I searched hi and lo but this forum's search tools are well, average, so if there is a post answering this, please forgive.
I'm looking at a 2.5hp Tohatsu 2 stroke and would like to know what compression range I should be pleased with and what range I should say "no thank you!"
Thanks much!
Steve from NH

If it has points, forget it, as parts are NLA.
OTOH, if it's an M2.5B, with electronic ignition, expect compression to be about 5.5 Kg/sq. cm, with a minimum of 4 Kg/sq. cm.

Thanks for your answer Paul, very helpful indeed. Now all I have to do is google a kg/cm2 to lbs/in.2 converter! ;-)

If it has points, forget it, as parts are NLA.
OTOH, if it's an M2.5B, with electronic ignition, expect compression to be about 5.5 Kg/sq. cm, with a minimum of 4 Kg/sq. cm.

The Factory service manuals of that era used strictly metric measures. To convert, you can feed the data to http://www.convertunits.com/from/kilograms+per+square+centimeter/to/pounds+per+square+inch

5.5 converts to 78.22838833865
4 converts to 56.8933733372

In order to get an accurate reading, the engine must be fully warmed up, the throttle at WOT, and the motor spun at 500 RPM. One caveat: Pressure testing gauges vary wildly and widely. The readings you get on one gauge can differ 25% or more compared to another gauge. Anything over about 50 or 60 psi should be OK.

Thanks so much!
Okay, how the heck do you turn a motor at 500 rpm?
Won't a few swift pulls of the recoil and look for around 50psi do it?

It's an M2.5A SN 88480 but the owner swears it's electronic ignition.
It's a 60 mile drive so if anyone can clarify I'd really appreciate it!

Hard to say whether it's CD ignition (for sure) at that serial number, but it's easy to check. SN's below 81966 were definitely the older style. If there is a CD box that feeds the ignition coil, you have electronic ignition. If not, (and the wire to the primary of the ign coil comes directly from under the flywheel), it's a contact-points type ignition. In that case, you will likely not be able to find points or condenser easily. Those parts are NLA from Tohatsu.

A few very swift pulls of the recoil will actually get you quite close to the RPM speed specified in the service manual for the compression test. The motor must be fully warmed up first, of course.

Last edited:
Back