Logo

Sending Units

Would you guys please tell me what these two sending units do? They are on the Left side to the Rear of an early nineties big block Crusader. Thanks

Attachments

• Crusader Sending Units 001.jpg
    Crusader Sending Units 001.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Crusader Sending Units 003.jpg
    Crusader Sending Units 003.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 49
I think that I'll go with Dave on this.
First shown is a sending unit for an electric oil pressure gauge.
Second shown appears to be an oil pressure switch.... possibly for a low oil pressure alarm.

I don't believe this vintage (around the same as mine) is tied into ignition system.. i.e, a shutdown circuit. I think it alarm but the engine will keep running. If I'm correct, that wouldn't be your issue.

Bob

So it will not kill the spark? It is only a warning type device?
The pressure switch is a single terminal switch and is likely a NC switch, in which case it will open in the presence of oil pressure.
When closed, it should take the circuit to negative.

It would be extremely unlikely if it had anything to do with your ignition system.

Yes I do have trouble with my ignition. The last two things to look at were this switch and my electronic distributor. Now that you think the switch has nothing to do with it I am sure my Pertronix ignitor is bad. I first thought coil, but switched it with my other motor and it was fine. I just wanted to make sure this switch was not involved. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Now that you think the switch has nothing to do with it I am sure my Pertronix ignitor is bad.

Johnny, I'll be bold and somewhat unpopular here by suggesting this: Rid yourself of that Pertronix crap, and purchase yourself a REAL electronic ignition system.

I'm not talking about a conversion kit...... I'm talking about a complete new ignition system.
I have a preference, but at this point, any style (other than Hall Effect) will serve you better.

If the horn (buzzer) works, then the switch won't have any effect on the ignition function.

You may also want to disconnect the tach lead at the coil as a bad tach will inhibit the ignition system.

good one Mark. Wasn't there an epic post about a year ago regarding a bad tach? The guy did everything and the problem went on and on only to turn out to be the tach.

Everyone should commit this to memory. I forgot until you posted it again.

Back