Logo

Perkins 6354 surging rpm

Steve hills

I have twin Perkins 6354 in my boat and one engine is surging in rpm. The first time it did this it was only once in a three hour trip. Next three hour trip it did it several times . On my last trip it has increased to every 10 minutes on the way out, and on the 5 hour trip it was every 3 minutes. It does not seem to matter what rpm I am at, it still revs up about 120 rpm. And I do not think it is the transmission slipping as I am quite sure I feel the boat speed up just a little. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

The most common cause is fuel shortage - have you changed the fuel filters recently? Even if you have, and your fuel is contaminated, they could need replacing again.
There is also a small gauze under the domed top of the fuel lift pump that may require cleaning.
If all is OK there I would look to all joints before the injection pump to ensure there are no air leaks.

Failing that you may need to get the injection pump serviced, but that should be a last resort.

I have developed the same problem. 1500 rpm jumps to 1700 for five to ten seconds then returns to 1500. I have dual fuel filters with a vacuum guage and an auxiliary electric fuel pump. All filters were replaced including the one on the engine. Seems worse when fuel tanks are below half full?

I changed both fuel filters and bled the engine and did a long weekend trip ( 40 hrs of running) and had no surging the whole trip. So I assume I had a dirty filter. Hope you find your fuel issue.
steve
Steve
I have developed the same problem. 1500 rpm jumps to 1700 for five to ten seconds then returns to 1500. I have dual fuel filters with a vacuum guage and an auxiliary electric fuel pump. All filters were replaced including the one on the engine. Seems worse when fuel tanks are below half full?

Back