Logo

Changing bearings and seals on Volvo penta Bell housing 873183

Miclager

I'm getting ready to replace the bearings and seals on a volvo penta bell housing 873183, I have access to a press but before I start I'm wondering if anyone knows the procedure on how to press out the bearings, removing the drive shaft and then replacing the shaft and bearings back into the housing.

Need more information from you;
Volvo Penta OHC 4, Ford V-8, GM V-8..... i.e., single or double bearing PDS?

This will make a difference as to how the PDS is removed from the "flywheel cover"!

BTW, Volvo Penta p/n 873183 comes up as a collar steering fork assembly.

vp0873183.jpg

Nut shelling this for you:

If you have the OHC 4, you'll have a single bearing PDS. This PDS can be removed from AFT and without removing the engine.

If you have a Ford V-8 using Volvo Penta's flywheel cover, this will most likely be a single bearing PDS, in which case this also can be removed from AFT and without removing the engine.

If you have a later Volvo Penta SBC, with a C or later out drive, this too will be a single bearing PDS.

However, if you have the late 70's to early or mid 80's GM SBC "red" flywheel cover, or the Volvo Penta (slash) Borg Warner style, this will be a double bearing PDS, in which case the engine must be removed in order to remove the PDS.

If you have a very old engine/drive, some used the Borg Warner pattern Holman Moody, Eaton, Donzi style PDS adapter housings.
Some were single bearing, some were double bearing.

These are industry standard bearings and seals.
No need to purchase these through V/P.

Back