Logo

Palmer M 60 P 60 C60 Internation Harvester Cub lowboy

Foolish...

So here's my story... a sorted tale of deceit...

I was looking for an Atomic 4 engine for spare parts... I happened upon a Man (The villain shall remain nameless) Who placed an advert. that he had an Atomic 4...

He claimed to have pulled it out of a boat that he had salvaged for the lead and other items...

I asked for pictures... "Oh I don't know how to send those through email"... Then I asked him to describe... Every thing he said seemed to match up with with a late model Atomic 4... That the oil filler was towards the front... the distributor was towards the rear.. that sort of thing...

I sent him a $50 deposit of good faith... And then drove 4-1/2 hrs to pick up what I thought was an Atomic 4... YYYYeah..... that didn't work out...

25ft from the engine I knew something was wrong... having never seen a Palmer M60 I kept looking around the engine trying to find out what it actually was... until I saw clearly right on top of the transmission... "Palmer".... "But but they told me it was an Atomic 4"...Was his only excuse...

Well at this point I'm $50 deposit... and $100 in gas (round trip) into this engine... The only hope of me recovering any of my "investement" Was to buy the engine... So I queried the the man about the history... He was quite vague about it... but offered that he bought the boat... never ran the engine... that it has always been covered inside the boat... And that the motor turned and all the parts are there... the starter, the water pump, distributor, Alt, carb oh and that all the oil had been drained (Strange) when winterized....

Reluctantly... I did purchase it... after all I had been foolish enough to drive this far without a picture... and the only way for me to recover from my mistake ....

4-1/2 hours later... Stopping on the way home at the local car wash... I removed the grease and grime...

Now having this fine new project in my shop... I tore it down... removing all the clutter to find out what I have....

A frozen distributor...
A mud filled starter...
A carb that was badly corroded...
An exhaust manifold that maaaayyybe could be patched... (Will take to an expert on that)

And creme da la creme... an oil pan that was dropped and dragged on the ground... I can tell due to I filled oil and it ran out the crack in the pan... Further when flipping it over... the grass and dirt in the crack... told me of the tale...

Yeah... I had not been ripped off this bad in a while.... Well if your still with me there is something rather interesting....

Would you believe!!!!!... That the basic engine block... is the same block as an International Harvester Cub Farmall loyboy C60 engine... And further... the basic block is in good shape!!!!... It actually looks like it has very low hours... I took a picture of the crank when I had the oil pan off...

I have rebuilt the carb... rebuilt the distributor (Should be replaced)... rebuilt the starter... Brazed the crack enough to hold oil, on the oil pan... I'm hoping this evening... I will have a running engine... At least enough to prove to the future purchaser that the basic block is a solid engine...

I have no use for the engine... I want to sell it... or trade for an Atomic 4...

For Sale....
Palmer M 60... Engine block complete in good shape $1000 OBO or Trade for Atomic 4...
Sad starter
Sad Carb
Sad Distibutor
Sad manifold

Oh and if you would like pictures... I have them...

Last edited:
Back