Logo

1980ski boat

Boolouie

Hello I have a 1980 ski supereme 351 w. holly 650. Can anybody help. The boat starts great every time I can run it all day but as soon as I turn it off it will not start. It will just kill the batt. I have to let it sit for about 30 min then it will start.i have changed most common parts still no luck. Any help out there.

"...will not start." - does that mean won't crank or cranks but will not run? if it is the latter, you may need additional ventilation for the engine. With today's fuels, the engine OEMs are very clear about max air temperatures in the engine compartment. You may want to open the hatch(es) at the next shutdown and see if it makes a difference...Another good practice is to cool down the engine some BEFORE you turn the key off, especially if you just got done pulling a skier...try fast idle, out of gear, for a few minutes before your shut it down.

Thank you for your help.the boat starts every time from a cold start and runs fine. The proble is when you turn it off.rarely will it start it cranks over but will not start. I let it sit for 30 to40 min then it will start

Vapor lock, choke stuck, needle valve stuck. Never ever kill the battery. If the engine does not fire in three or four cranks, something is wrong. Don't just sit there running your battery down, unless you are at the dock.

I own a 1980 Supreme Industries/Pleasurecraft marine, 18' 11" certified "pullboat" they say and the one owner let it go last month [July 2014]. The boat has stayed inside its entire life except for a day of skiing then back on trailer and back to nice garage. I knew of the boat from years ago as I about 60 and loved the different pullboats I experienced. So, it was nice to get back to where I feel most comfortable which was mainly in brokering wooden boats for four years but since a child, my father was a boat builder and we learned about safety before anything. I just wanted to share a 'mutual respect' for one who has the same year of boat while my model is called a "Ski Supreme"; my mind knew this would be something to use but not for skiing necessarily unless another wishes to do so as I have one good leg only. The boat has the larger of the engines for that year and the original manual was provided. Otherwise I am on my own and not near the marina where I kept about 24 boats over a 9 year period and 20 were wooden straight shaft while 3 were fiberglass. All were straight shaft engines and from 16' to 33' in length. I love the wood but decided with my physical limitation this 19 with 800 actual hours would be right as it checks out in every regard. I wish I had some good advice to share on your 'stall' issue but personally speaking, I have not had a 'maiden voyage' on my 1980 boat that has a pleasurecraftmarine engine. The previous owner & father kept it correct for over 34 years and I respect that loyalty and keeping it in such excellent condition. What is funny is I bought the boat without a truck or a vehicle with a hitch and am now in the market for something to definely be safe on the highway as the same trailer with boat in 1980 is also in wonderful condition yet I have dealt in my former profession the quagmire that can exist when towing any boat and my intention in solo retirement is to see some of our country and tow the boat behind. The season quickly changes but I am still game for this year and am just waiting for the right vehicle to serve as a 'pullvehicle' of my 'pullboat'. I like the keep it simple motto as the excellent 3 mechanics over a span of many years while knowing I should have a true mechanic do the work on these boats was never in doubt for me, personally. This nice recent purchase will be a span of close to 2 decades since I have been boating as my children came and work required more time, so the avocation of brokering for four years and just having different priorities changed but never the passion for pleasure boating. I will continue to monitor this page and was curious if any one wishes to let me know; my original engine manual states the engine was built in Columbus, Ohio while the hull and corporate set up I think, was in Tennessee for my particular 1980 'pullboat' which has an "American Water Ski Association" sticker on the fine edged windshield while the boat has always been registered and the certificate of origin for the trailer goes directly with the boat. Fraternally in boating, Kevin

Good for you Kevin!

I just noticed this thread is 2yrs old, and I shouldn't have bothered to reply to it.

Back