Logo

M40C 2007 Lower Unit issues

adamhunt1

Hi there guys - I have a low hours Tohatsu M40C 2007 two stroke that has had a number of issues. Over the last year I have replaced the starter assembly 3 times (by Tohatsu Mechanic) and have now installed a complete Electric Starter kit as we could not fix the problems. This thing has hardly been used i.e. under 20hrs but it is now 5 years old I guess.

I recently did the Impeller and associated gaskets, as well as drop the oil from the gearbox and put new washers on the screws etc on the leg. I followed the workshop manual to a tee - with all the right gasket sealants etc and got my dad who is an aircraft Engineer to make sure it was all correct.

Now I have white milky oil leaking from lower hole in unit when it is parked. I have had this only for three weeks, i.e. when I first dropped the oil at the same time I did the impellor it was fine.

I know this means I have water ingress. Just not sure where, and if it is worth trying to fix myself if I spend the money on all the seals etc and it is something more serious? I did do a silly thing though, I have been out twice with it knowing that it had this leak somewhere. However, before and after each trip I drained and refilled with new oil the lower leg, just to be safe.

Last night coming home to the boatramp - all was fine after only about 30 minutes allup of running, and then pop - she jumped out of gear on the leg and lost drive. I shut down, and started up from scratch again - all was well and I half-putted home. It did it a few more times at low revs though.

Does this mean it is seized/seizing and what can I do right now to stop this from getting worse than I made it?

Long story short - am I up for a full rebuild of the lower unit or can I just replace all seals and go again?

You should inspect the internals of the LU. May just have not been fully engaged in gear. While you have the LU apart, install 361873210M LOWER UNIT GASKET SET 40C, for $30.42

Any time you are considering replacing the impeller, do the complete wp kit. lasts longer, pumps better, and the nominal additional cost pays for itself.

Back