Logo

Starting Recommendationsof a 50 HP Mariner 2 Stroke stored since 1994

ehlien

Regular Contributor
Can any one recommend the best procedures (or where I can find them) to prep and start a 50 hp Mariner 2 stroke that has been stored since 1994 , inside but unheated? The engine is in excellent condition .

One thing for sure is that you must install a new waterpump impeller.--------If there is oil injection and it is in use that must be checked out as well.

One thing for sure is that you must install a new waterpump impeller.--------If there is oil injection and it is in use that must be checked out as well.

Thanks is there somewhere to find free owners and
service manuals and parts lists for this engine?

You'll find exploded parts diagrams on this forum under Boat Engine Parts link in header of this website, need to know year and/or serial number to identify correct outboard model first. Also they sell service manuals on this website, good investment I use mine constantly. You may be able to track down an owner manual online using the same information.

I would replace all of the soft parts...hoses, water pump, rebuild the fuel pump and carbs. Take a good look at the wiring for dry rotted insulation. Wiring harnesses are probably available if you can't repair them. Look for signs of a mouse nest under the flywheel...debris sticking out. Pull the spark plugs and give each cylinder a shot of TCW3 oil and crank it a few seconds w/the ignition disabled, then reinstall the spark plugs...new ones if needed.

Not sure of the year or model but the serial number is 6418733. I'm thinking this means its an 87 but again not sure. Its a 4 cyl 2 stroke. The engine was not used very much and is VERY clean and was stored by itself in an inside storage unit since 94. Plugs are extremely clean. Wires and rubber look great .
I will be replacing the water impeller for sure. I need to find the part number for this kit. Not sure what TCW3 oil is. Is that the equivalent of a fogging or a penetrating oil? The fuel filter did not have any varnish or debris in it so I will probably spray some carb cleaner in it and run some cleaner through the first couple tanks of gas but not thinking I will tear it the carbs down and clean them out unless it starts or runs hard. I will need to find some info on the fuel pump and card in case I have to rebuild them.

Not sure what TCW3 oil is.
Engine oil for the gas. If you are not tearing the carbs apart just hook up the fuel hose to the engine and stick the other end into a can of Seafoam. Squeeze the primer bulb until it is firm to fill the carbs. Let the Seafoam soak the carbs for 48 hrs. to soften any hardened fuel varnish. When you fire it for the first time it will smoke alot until the Seafoam burns off.

The 87 in the serial # has nothing to do with the year it was built.--------------------You must ensure that the carburetors are clean !!-------Remember that the carburetor also acts as the oil pump to get oil into the motor.--------A plugged or partially plugged jet means that less fuel will go in along with less oil !!-------Very easy to destroy the cylinder if a carburetor is " not right "

Back