Logo

1965 Chrysler Commando 290 427 engine overheating

Steelclipper

Hello, I am new to the forum and have exhausted my efforts in trying to solve my engine overheating problem. I have tried the standard checks, impeller, hoses, strainer, oil levels, etc. I am running the port problem side without a thermostat for more direct flow. ( can't find the recommended 140 degree stat). If anyone has a new direction to head me in I would be grateful.

426 wedge by chance?
Yes it is a 426 wedge. I've been looking at so many articles and info that I just simply made a mistake. It seems to have two thermostat housings per engine. Read a lot on another persons like problems and want to try the muratic acid tip. Where would the oil exchange be on this engine

Never seen two on a Chrysler big block. Originally your engine had a screw in T-stat and they have been NLA for over fifteen years. The fix is to retro fit the later style top hat T-stat.

Attachments

• t-stat.jpg
    t-stat.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 531
  • tophat.jpg
    tophat.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 76
145 degree thermostat drops in but I believe there is a second housing for another thermostat. Does this sound right.
Yes, that is how I tinks this engine is set up. the 145 is out because until finding your forum and parts I havent been able to locate 145 t-stat. The housing for the second tsta seems to be somewhat incomplete or worn. This is a problem that happen shortly after My climatic contro; knob for the heat choke cracked and am now keeping the choke wide open with wires. Other engine is fine other than heats sometimes and I then know the straine is clogged. Lake Erie channels get pretty nasty sometimes and need to clean bowl often

Never seen two on a Chrysler big block. Originally your engine had a screw in T-stat and they have been NLA for over fifteen years. The fix is to retro fit the later style top hat T-stat.
doesnt look loke mine, it sets on a rim but that is the thermostat, which I need to buy two

Here is a photo of the t-stat ousing. the system is fed by two hoses and seems to hold a second t-stat. Where can I find this housing. Also, looked for the heat exchanger and could not locate, any suggestions. Also believe some of my over heating is due to old hose collapsing. Is it ok to make the hose longer leading to water pump to eliminate some bend or will this slow the water intake

Thanks

Attachments

• 1965 Boat t-stat.jpg
    1965 Boat t-stat.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 65
Back